How to convince sites that I would really go there for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWPoods

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are other students from your program staying in the area and matching to APA-accredited sites or are some going with unaccredited sites so that they can stay in the area? What I'm getting at is that the competitiveness of your program and its students is going to be more important than whether or not a site has ever seen applications from other students in your program.

I would agree. I don't imagine that this is going to be a big red flag in most cases. At your interviews, you certainly can express your enthusiasm for the site and the area too, which is totally appropriate to convey. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are other students from your program staying in the area and matching to APA-accredited sites or are some going with unaccredited sites so that they can stay in the area? What I'm getting at is that the competitiveness of your program and its students is going to be more important than whether or not a site has ever seen applications from other students in your program.

I’m in a competitive program and our students match at competitive APA-accredited sites. This makes me worry that the site I’m interested in will think I have lots of local options that I’ll rank higher than them, which will lead them to drop me in rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Apply to the site, accept the interview, travel the (likely given the temperature difference) long distance, and show genuine interest. I can't imagine a site thinks otherwise when you've invested substantially (financially, time, effort) in applying/interviewing - assuming you don't portray disinterest through the interview.

Speaking for our site, we see people from new-to-us programs all the time. As long as the applicant is a good fit, that's all we care about - and we don't know where the other people in those programs generally apply.

I’m in a competitive program and our students match at competitive APA-accredited sites. This makes me worry that the site I’m interested in will think I have lots of local options that I’ll rank higher than them, which will lead them to drop me in rankings.

I can only speak for my training site, but as someone who interviews and ranks internship candidates, I have not seen this happen if we perceive a strong fit between the applicant's interests/goals and what our program can offer.

I am so glad to hear that! That makes me feel a lot better, MamaPhD and WisNeuro! Thank you for taking the time to respond.