How to decide on a fellowship in peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for a pediatric residency now and if all goes well I'll be a PGY-1 next year :D

With that in mind, I'd like to set myself up well to apply for a fellowship. I have a few interests like GI and pulmonary but I have no idea how to approach deciding on a fellowship, which ones are super competitive, etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the 'hot' specialty is these days? Not that I'm basing my decision on that... I just need a spring board :)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying for a pediatric residency now and if all goes well I'll be a PGY-1 next year :D

With that in mind, I'd like to set myself up well to apply for a fellowship. I have a few interests like GI and pulmonary but I have no idea how to approach deciding on a fellowship, which ones are super competitive, etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the 'hot' specialty is these days? Not that I'm basing my decision on that... I just need a spring board :)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

During your PL-1 year you'll get exposed to all of the subspecialties and general pediatrics. It's helpful, but not mandatory to have some idea if you're going to go the fellowship route by the end of that year or early in your second year (you can delay all of this by doing a chief resident year). So, like anything else, towards the end of your PL-1 year and early in your PL-2 year, you need to think about the areas of interest and set up appointments to meet with faculty in these areas to talk about fellowships. It'll usually be fairly obvious which faculty are used to doing these discussions and are the most helpful.

By the middle of your second year, it's getting time to make that decision (a bit earlier is helpful). Only you can decide the pros and cons and make the call, it's no different than any other of life's big choices. Once you've decided, then go to the faculty in that area and discuss where you should apply, etc.

As far as hot fields, who knows or cares? There are no "super competitive" pedi fellowships. Heme/onc, GI and EM tend to be among those that are somewhat "competitive" but this isn't dermatology. If you want those fields, and you are a reasonable applicant, you'll find something.

Good luck!

Thanks oldbearprofessor! That was really helpful, I was getting a little anxious thinking that I had to know exactly what I wanted right away.... although I know it would make things easier... at least it takes the pressure off a bit :)