How to Decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEA3885

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know there is an old post floating around out there but I am trying to get current students perspectives on the schools they are attending. I am fortunate enough to get to have a choice in where I go and I have no idea where to start when making this decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having serious stress thinking about should I even go at all? Being accepted (one and only!) at michigan state as an oos applicant means 53k tuition plus cost of living.:eek:
I've given up a lot to get to this point... Sold my house, moved out of my home state.
But jeez, accumulating almost 300k in debt seems insurmountable.
I think I need a pep talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having serious stress thinking about should I even go at all? Being accepted (one and only!) at michigan state as an oos applicant means 53k tuition plus cost of living.:eek:
I've given up a lot to get to this point... Sold my house, moved out of my home state.
But jeez, accumulating almost 300k in debt seems insurmountable.
I think I need a pep talk.
Of course you should go!!!!!!! Yea it's a lot of debt and it's something I think all of us think about daily but what we have to remember is, 1) this is our dream and you cannot put a price tag on living your dream and 2) try not to look at it as debt but more like an investment on making your life exactly what you want it to be! If you wanted to buy a house, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy one wouldn't stop you and a house can be here one day and gone the next. No one can take away the knowledge you will learn in vet school. That is yours and yours alone forever! Definitely go, definitely live your dream!

Reactions: 2 users
Of course you should go!!!!!!! Yea it's a lot of debt and it's something I think all of us think about daily but what we have to remember is, 1) this is our dream and you cannot put a price tag on living your dream and 2) try not to look at it as debt but more like an investment on making your life exactly what you want it to be! If you wanted to buy a house, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy one wouldn't stop you and a house can be here one day and gone the next. No one can take away the knowledge you will learn in vet school. That is yours and yours alone forever! Definitely go, definitely live your dream!

This is a fabulous pep talk, but if you're really doubtful you should reconcile those feelings before you decide to go. Nothing is worse than resenting your career path because of its financial impact on your life, especially when we spend so much time and energy on top of money to get there. Check out the estimated costs of vet school thread, and there's also a thread about cold feet floating around. And, congrats on your acceptance!! :)

Reactions: 1 user