how to differentiate interossei muscles on a practical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nj3444

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the tital says it all... I know palmar are only 3 and are unipennante, dorsal have 4 and are bi-pennant, but still, when looking at the hand itself, they all kind of seem to run together, and can be seen from both views.

Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

go look at Rohen's. When things get tagged, they are usually as clear as those pictures

How would you differentiate the skull bone from a sternum bone on the practical??

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing to do is to use common sense on what the muscles actually do. The palmar interossei are going to adduct the fingers so from that knowledge alone it is easy to see which muscles are positioned to carry out that function in contrast to the abducting dorsal interossei. Plus you already know that the third digit has only dorsal so there is another problem solved. Also, unless the dorsal interosseous muscles are really messed up you should not be able to see the palmar ones from the dorsal view of the hand...yet you CAN see both from the palmar view.

Hope that helps....

Look at as many cadavers as humanly possible and identify everything on them. Somewhere between the 15th cadaver and 30th image, you'll get it.

How would you differentiate the skull bone from a sternum bone on the practical??

Trick question! It can't be done.

Our first lab exam is in eight days. I should be going from flippant to panicked any minute now...

Here's a trick I found that will get you in the neighborhood, but won't be exact:

Look at your hand on the anterior (palmar side). Now, spread out your fingers as far as they can go. Between any two digits (except for the 1st and 2nd) there will be a palmar and a dorsal interosseous muscle. Look at your middle finger, there will be a dorsal interosseous muscle on each side of it, and a palmar interosseous adjacent to that. To visualize:

(============ Thumb
Dorsal
(============ Index finger
Palmar
Dorsal
(============ Middle finger
Dorsal
Palmar
(============ Ring finger
Dorsal
Palmar
(============= Pinky

All you need to remember is that there are two dorsals next to the middle finger, and that it alternates from that point forth with the palmars. This only works while looking at the palmar side of the hand.

There's also a good diagram in Netter that will help to you visualize it...