How to discipline self!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouthwash4hobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

Every weekday, I aim for getting out of bed at 5AM, hit the gym for 30, come home and get ready for school, and be there before 7AM to get a good parking spot and get started on studying.

Now why is it that I just got out of bed a half hour ago, still need to shower, then head to my two classes that I haven't read the material for a head of time yet?

I'm annoyed. I don't understand why I'm shutting off my 4 alarm clocks (not exaggerating) and hardly remember doing so. Also, my lamp is always on when I do finally wake up. Thing is, I don't remember ever turning the thing on!

I do work 4 nights a week after classes from 430-11PM. I usually don't get to sleep until 130-2AM. This is becoming a problem..

Sincerely,

Time Waster :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Three hours of sleep per night is unsustainable. Your body hates you right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop wasting time with sleep. If you never fall asleep, you never have to wake up. Besides, there'll be plenty of time to sleep when your dead.

must-not-fap.jpg

and get some extra sleep

Discipline and self-flagellation are two different things :laugh:

Okay,

Every weekday, I aim for getting out of bed at 5AM, hit the gym for 30, come home and get ready for school, and be there before 7AM to get a good parking spot and get started on studying.

Now why is it that I just got out of bed a half hour ago, still need to shower, then head to my two classes that I haven't read the material for a head of time yet?

I'm annoyed. I don't understand why I'm shutting off my 4 alarm clocks (not exaggerating) and hardly remember doing so. Also, my lamp is always on when I do finally wake up. Thing is, I don't remember ever turning the thing on!

I do work 4 nights a week after classes from 430-11PM. I usually don't get to sleep until 130-2AM. This is becoming a problem..

Sincerely,

Time Waster :mad:

If you truly want to discipline yourself in this way, although the rest of the posters are right, we should be getting the appropriate amount of sleep. You need to get into a routine that does work for you and a goal that you can't ignore. I have a coffee maker right beside my bed that automatically makes my coffee at 5am every morning. These are about twenty-30 bucks at walmart.
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Digital-Alarm-Clock-Black/dp/B0019CJANG
This is an alarm clock that requires slight (at least) cognitive function and movement to turn off, there are also puzzle alarm clocks I believe. Once you've turned it off begin drinking the coffee and turn on brain stimulating but not overwhelming music like Chopin. have a second alarm set for thirty minutes later just in case you fall asleep again before the coffee can take affect.

Having a goal involving someone else, ie the poor, a specific person with a disease, for me Africa, is important because some mornings you will not see the point of doing something and it takes that extra "I'm not doing it for me" to truly get me out of bed. I also have it tattooed on my side as an extra reminder.

I understand working full time and going to school full time and being president of an organization and wanting to have a social life and wanting to sleep and be healthy requires more hours that the day has. Something has to be sacrificed. For some it is sleep, for others, volunteering.

I'm in the same position op. I set morning gym goals as an avid bodybuilder but its hard. I work about the same hours. Except four 3-11pms a week. If you figure something out let me know lol

Also, Goober is my best friend, learned about it from a professor, it's very important to get enough protein, particularly if you are exercising.

The problem is that I am not a morning person... but I want to be.

At this point it sounds like you don't want help, you just want to be difficult. Without sleep you will never be a morning person. That is common sense.

My method? Do one thing differently every three weeks. A year ago, I was lazy, unsocial, and coasting. I lived in a pigsty and lived on instant foods. After I got deathly ill, I started changing my lifestyle - very gradually - and now I'm healthier than ever, motivated, and social. I honestly credit the change in my everyday habits, and it was so easy after I stopped trying to start everything at once.

So, if you want to change, do it gradually! Start going to bed earlier. That's all you need to do at first. Once that's second nature, set your alarm a little earlier. Slowly work yourself into the sleeping habits you want. Once you're in that habit, you can add the morning workout you want. Only after that's a normal part of your routine do you add other things.

Doing things gradually is the key. Just take it one step at a time and you'll be there before you know it.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to bed by 10 if you want to be up by 5. Anything less is non-maintainable, long term! Expecting yourself to live on three or four hours of sleep is ridiculus.

I'm not a morning person. Hense, I do things at other times. Work out after class, pre-read the night before. Can I always avoid morning activities? Of course not. No more than morning people can avoid the occasional late night.

Reactions: 1 user
My method? Do one thing differently every three weeks. A year ago, I was lazy, unsocial, and coasting. I lived in a pigsty and lived on instant foods. After I got deathly ill, I started changing my lifestyle - very gradually - and now I'm healthier than ever, motivated, and social. I honestly credit the change in my everyday habits, and it was so easy after I stopped trying to start everything at once.

So, if you want to change, do it gradually! Start going to bed earlier. That's all you need to do at first. Once that's second nature, set your alarm a little earlier. Slowly work yourself into the sleeping habits you want. Once you're in that habit, you can add the morning workout you want. Only after that's a normal part of your routine do you add other things.

Doing things gradually is the key. Just take it one step at a time and you'll be there before you know it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I found this very helpful.
The lazy/unsocial/coasting is something that I'm going through right now. So I will definitely consider this advice.

3 or 4 hours of sleep is not enough sleep, except for a few people who are genetically designed to operate under such conditions. you have three options: go to bed earlier, wake up later, or a bit of both. 12-7 is much more reasonable and sustainable, and with more sleep you might actually get something out of your studying in the morning.

I'm in the same position op. I set morning gym goals as an avid bodybuilder but its hard. I work about the same hours. Except four 3-11pms a week. If you figure something out let me know lol

Hey! Same here! I work the same hours at one job! I'm not in school but I work another job that is a morning job! Can you work out before work? That's what I do! It's amazing....I feel great going to work and then I start to crash at about 10:30...and when I get home I just fall asleep and am able to get up early enough!! I am a morning person though...cuz I like time to myself and to get stuff done right away!

3 or 4 hours of sleep is not enough sleep, except for a few people who are genetically designed to operate under such conditions. you have three options: go to bed earlier, wake up later, or a bit of both. 12-7 is much more reasonable and sustainable, and with more sleep you might actually get something out of your studying in the morning.

The situation is that I work until 11PM and with the half hour drive home and trying to wind down because I'm just not tired yet because I don't wake up early, I tend to not fall asleep until around 1ish or later.

The point of the waking up early is to fit more gym time into my schedule, but I can deal with going on the three days that I'm off of work, and also to get more study time in before class.

But yes, the 12-7 sounds like a great idea. Right now, it's more like in between 1-2 until 9 then rushing to get to class on time.

The situation is that I work until 11PM and with the half hour drive home and trying to wind down because I'm just not tired yet because I don't wake up early, I tend to not fall asleep until around 1ish or later.

The point of the waking up early is to fit more gym time into my schedule, but I can deal with going on the three days that I'm off of work, and also to get more study time in before class.

But yes, the 12-7 sounds like a great idea. Right now, it's more like in between 1-2 until 9 then rushing to get to class on time.

Use your three days off for the gym really efficiently...I doubt you really need any more than that! Unless you're trying to get huge? haha any way your nutrition is more important than all that gym time! And so is sleep! That's when you recover the most from the gym! Make sure to keep on sleepin!

Use your three days off for the gym really efficiently...I doubt you really need any more than that! Unless you're trying to get huge? haha any way your nutrition is more important than all that gym time! And so is sleep! That's when you recover the most from the gym! Make sure to keep on sleepin!

Female here, trying to become tiny, not huge!

Female here, trying to become tiny, not huge!

Ok that's even easier! I apologize I don't really know why I assumed you were male? Do you mind running outside? If you could get up like half an hour earlier you could go for a quick run when it gets nicer and that will boost your metabolism...Then keep the diet in check and use your days off for better workouts in the gym! Just make sure to sleep!

Have a Magazine or the book you are currently reading by your side. Reading a book will help you "wake up" and keep your brain focused on something other than sleep.

Hitting the snooze button everyday is just pathetic.

Hope this helps.

=)

Three hours of sleep per night is unsustainable. Your body hates you right now.

Wrong. I've been doing it for years.

Sure you lose a lot of muscle mass (oh my beautiful muscle...) and you look like crap (and feel like it...) most of the time, but it's doable.

It gets complicated when you have a gf though...man no amount of time makes up for time lost there...

Nipple clamps.

6 hours of sleep is perfectly reasonable depending on the person. I don't know of too many people that could make do with much less on an ongoing basis.

If you truly want to discipline yourself in this way, although the rest of the posters are right, we should be getting the appropriate amount of sleep. You need to get into a routine that does work for you and a goal that you can't ignore. I have a coffee maker right beside my bed that automatically makes my coffee at 5am every morning.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Why would anyone schedule their courses so they needed to be up at 5am? I could see it happening one semester because thats how the classes you needed fell, but it shouldn't happen often. This is one of the last periods in your life where you'll have the opportunity to sleep in on a regular basis.

If you need to work-out or study, do it after class. If you're too busy working, take out loans and cut back on the work hours. You'll have a lot more time to study, sleep and party before the real crappy part of life begins (med school + residency). And besides, you'll be a doctor, paying back the loans shouldn't be a problem, at least that's what every physician i've talked to has told me (naturally i haven't talked to primary care doc's).

Last edited:

Sure you lose a lot of muscle mass (oh my beautiful muscle...) and you look like crap (and feel like it...) most of the time, but it's doable.

It gets complicated when you have a gf though...man no amount of time makes up for time lost there...

I'm betting you sleep quite a bit once or twice a week. I think we're talking about a fixed daily sleep regimen. I didn't actually read this thread so I could be wrong though. :D

Is it good for that to happen with cardiac muscle?

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Why would anyone schedule their courses so they needed to be up at 5am? I could see it happening one semester because thats how the classes you needed fell, but it shouldn't happen often. This is one of the last periods in your life where you'll have the opportunity to sleep in on a regular basis.

If you need to work-out or study, do it after class. If you're too busy working, take out loans and cut back on the work hours. You'll have a lot more time to study, sleep and party before the real crappy part of life begins (med school + residency). And besides, you'll be a doctor, paying back the loans shouldn't be a problem, at least that's what every physician i've talked to has told me (naturally i haven't talked to primary care doc's).

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have her classes scheduled that earlier? It sounds like maybe 9 or 10? She just wanted to hit the gym and then study before class! No harm there...Although yes she could do those at different times and sleep in

I have a full time job at Kohls to get me through school and pay my bills. I have loans for school, but I also need to pay for rent, groceries, books, doctor, gas and the other life necessities. So "what the hell is wrong with me?" I'm poor. :poke: What a concept right?

I have a full time job at Kohls to get me through school and pay my bills. I have loans for school, but I also need to pay for rent, groceries, books, doctor, gas and the other life necessities. So "what the hell is wrong with me?" I'm poor. :poke: What a concept right?

Welcome to the club, I'm poor too. I just took out loans to pay for everything. Better relax now, in the future that wont be an option.

You could try power napping throughout the day if you really can't get anymore sleep than you do now.

Welcome to the club, I'm poor too. I just took out loans to pay for everything. Better relax now, in the future that wont be an option.

What amazing way did you manage to get good enough credit to get loans for rent just out of high school?

Last edited:
Discipline, you say? Try one of these:

1050608-ball_gag_blue_bdsm_large.jpg

Glad you asked. Try out this website, which helps you develop new habits:

http://habitforge.com/account

the idea is that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit. So it will email you a daily question asking whether you accomplished what you set out to do. It's free.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes i wish i could get by on 3 hours of sleep, unfortunately thats not doable. Before you try to discipline yourself, you should get on a 5-6 hour sleeping routine, at the very least.

I got 4 hours of sleep two nights ago and 5 hours last night.

Morning birds are birds of a different feather, Night Owl.

Still, as other posters have said, try to get more sleep. Less than 7 hours a night is asking for trouble in the long run.

Regular exercise is good, maybe there is a time that would work better for your schedule as opposed to first thing in the morning? Maybe before work or between classes?

If what you want to be doing is not working, trying a new set up.

You could try power napping throughout the day if you really can't get anymore sleep than you do now.

Power naps are great! I wonder, though, if he is already having trouble getting to sleep at night, whether or not it might throw off his sleep cycle further.

take "stimulants" (you know, the illegal kind) just like many other pre-meds.

Here's a solution - workout at night! Sleep past 5 am and all that jazz:idea:

IBworkingoutlateisnotasbeneficialasworkingoutinthemorning

OP i feeeeelll yourrrrr paaaainnn. I am a night person through and through, and I am capable of planning for 6am and getting up at noon. Huge blocks of that time is my snooze going off over and over which ticks me off even more bc we all know that's not the most beneficial sleep I'm sneaking there.

What other people have said - get enough sleep. Don't set unrealistic goals bc you'll just waste energy hating yourself for failing. Running outdoors is also helpful I think because your gym is right outside you door.

My additional advice is to find someone to run with in your area or go to the gym with. I found running buddies online. If I have to meet someone, it's incredibly rude to just not show up, and my subconscious knows this and it shuts up my rationalizing, lying, early morning brain. This is the most effective thing I've found. I wish I were less of a pansy and didn't need to rely on someone else, but it's a fantastic way to establish a pattern of actually appreciating the fact that it's early, you're up, and you're doing something good for yourself.

Your problem is you have nothing to discipline yourself with. Find something that motivates you. It could be a song, movie scene, quote, future goal, etc. This is now known as your "trigger." Whenever you don't feel like working, etc. turn to your trigger. You are essentially training yourself now to respond to that trigger and eventually you will not need it. Also I read somewhere it takes like 21 days to develop a habit so something like a calendar to keep track would help as well.