How to do pre-reqs on the quarter system?

Started by gbvan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gbvan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may seem like a bit of a silly question, but throughout my 7 years of undergrad (ouch), I've always been on the semester system. However, the place I intend to do my postbac work at is on a quarter system, and I'm not entirely sure how pre-reqs work on the quarter system (as in, what constitutes "a year" of a class, or, more importantly, "a semester," since I'll be taking Calc as well).

I'm also wondering how many credits someone should take on the quarter system, since that seems to be structured differently as well.

All in all, though, I am looking forward to the quarter system, as semesters always drag on for so long. It'll be a nice change of pace.
 
2 quarter = 1 semester, in most cases
I've not seen that conversion.

What I've seen from my own 6 mixed transcripts, and GPA calcs from 3 AMCAS apps: 1 semester = 1.5 quarters...which adds up for 3 quarters = 2 semesters = 1 year.

If a quarter-system school has a 2 quarter course for a prereq (example: U of Washington has only 2 quarters of ochem lab to go with 3 quarters of ochem lecture), there's some expectation that you'll fill that quarter gap with something else (such as a biochem or micro lab).

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've not seen that conversion.

What I've seen from my own 6 mixed transcripts, and GPA calcs from 3 AMCAS apps: 1 semester = 1.5 quarters...which adds up for 3 quarters = 2 semesters = 1 year.

This is my experience as well.
 
I've not seen that conversion.

What I've seen from my own 6 mixed transcripts, and GPA calcs from 3 AMCAS apps: 1 semester = 1.5 quarters...which adds up for 3 quarters = 2 semesters = 1 year.

If a quarter-system school has a 2 quarter course for a prereq (example: U of Washington has only 2 quarters of ochem lab to go with 3 quarters of ochem lecture), there's some expectation that you'll fill that quarter gap with something else (such as a biochem or micro lab).

Best of luck to you.

You're going to take 1.5 quarter of classes?

If there is a semester preqreq, you're going to take 2 quarters. But then, again, I'm fairly sure you're arguing the same thing as me.
 
You're going to take 1.5 quarter of classes?

If there is a semester preqreq, you're going to take 2 quarters. But then, again, I'm fairly sure you're arguing the same thing as me.

All the normal prereqs are year long sequences.

Med schools that are looking for a semester of biochem or stats or whatnot aren't going to kvetch about 10 weeks vs. 14 weeks. By "semester" they mean "term".
 
I went to a quarter-system school too. Each quarter was 10 weeks followed by a final exam week. The conversion went like this (I transferred from a semester school to my quarter school).

1 semester class translated to 1.5 quarter classes.

The other way around, 1 quarter class was 2/3rds of a semester class.

So, if you need one year of chemistry for medical school you would take Chem 1, Chem2, AND Chem3 at a quarter school (each class would be 10 weeks plus a finals week) whereas at a semester school you would take Chem1 and Chem2 (each class would be 16 weeks plus a finals week).
 
All the normal prereqs are year long sequences.

Med schools that are looking for a semester of biochem or stats or whatnot aren't going to kvetch about 10 weeks vs. 14 weeks. By "semester" they mean "term".

I went to a quarter system school. I applied to a medical school that wanted one semester of psychology. The medical school refused to accept only one quarter of psych, because that translated into 2.67 credit hours, and they wanted 3.00.

Luckily the school eventually rejected me, or otherwise I'd be spending my summer taking a psych class at a community college.
 
I went to a quarter system school. I applied to a medical school that wanted one semester of psychology. The medical school refused to accept only one quarter of psych, because that translated into 2.67 credit hours, and they wanted 3.00.

Luckily the school eventually rejected me, or otherwise I'd be spending my summer taking a psych class at a community college.

Ick. What school wants psych? I ask so I can cross it off my list.