How to Do Well on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips from those who have crossed the finish line with Step 1 exam?
I'm an M1 and I want to make sure I do well on Step 1, in addition to learning the material well!

I am using Board/Step 1 books for studying for classes (extra questions for practice, content for reviewing class material). For instance, High Yield Gross Anatomy, BRS Biochem, or High Yield Embryology.

Do people study these books for Step I, or just focus on First Aid, USMLE World questions, Pathology, and BRS Phys? I am curious because then I don't need to worry about reading pages and pages in Hi Yield Embryo that do not relate to my lectures in class, for example.

I am wondering to get a good score do you need to know the embryology and anatomy details in those books well?

When people say they use FA + USMLE + Path + Phys, is that all they study (using only embryo and anatomy in First Aid as their only source of embryo/anatomy/histology etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Any tips from those who have crossed the finish line with Step 1 exam?
I'm an M1 and I want to make sure I do well on Step 1, in addition to learning the material well!

I am using Board/Step 1 books for studying for classes (extra questions for practice, content for reviewing class material). For instance, High Yield Gross Anatomy, BRS Biochem, or High Yield Embryology.

Do people study these books for Step I, or just focus on First Aid, USMLE World questions, Pathology, and BRS Phys? I am curious because then I don't need to worry about reading pages and pages in Hi Yield Embryo that do not relate to my lectures in class, for example.

I am wondering to get a good score do you need to know the embryology and anatomy details in those books well?

When people say they use FA + USMLE + Path + Phys, is that all they study (using only embryo and anatomy in First Aid as their only source of embryo/anatomy/histology etc)?

I would try searching or looking at some of these threads:

The 'Taus' Method for Step 1

Official 2010 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

There is a lot of advice already posted by top scorers.

Bro the best thing you can do is to learn what's in your classes really well. You're still an MS1, relax and enjoy your free time instead of studying when possible right now. What you're learning now is foundational for the rest of your medical school career. If you know that well you will be okay come second year when you really do start prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bro the best thing you can do is to learn what's in your classes really well. You're still an MS1, relax and enjoy your free time instead of studying when possible right now. What you're learning now is foundational for the rest of your medical school career. If you know that well you will be okay come second year when you really do start prep.

Thanks for your advice. I definitely relax in my free time, but when I do study, I think it is helpful to sometimes use a review source to get a new take on material rather than reread my class notes.

Also I didn't actually use test prep books for our first two blocks, but then everyone seems to be using them so I felt like I should start and I did for our last block! But I guess I shouldn't worry about what other people do haha. Anyway I think it helps me.

Thanks for your advice. I definitely relax in my free time, but when I do study, I think it is helpful to sometimes use a review source to get a new take on material rather than reread my class notes.

Also I didn't actually use test prep books for our first two blocks, but then everyone seems to be using them so I felt like I should start and I did for our last block! But I guess I shouldn't worry about what other people do haha. Anyway I think it helps me.

I think the best resource you should use is First Aid, especially if you take NBME Shelf exams during preclinical years.

Good luck - it only gets harder and tougher hereon out

Learn the material well in your first two years (don't just aim for good grades; get a good understanding) and dont worry about step 1 studying until after MS2.

At that time the best thing you can do is practice questions (in addition to reviewing.) Do many many simulation exams (ie timed blocks of 50, 350 questions per day) once per week to condition yourself.