How to ensure that Bioinformatics Research prepares me for applying to MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaultArmitage

import pandas as pd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior (Bioinformatics Major) who has been in a research lab since the end of my freshmen year. I have a strong passion for research, especially using computational methods to improve human health. I've worked a variety of projects that address this and see myself pursing this line of research as I prepare to apply to MSTP programs next summer. I would love to do a PhD in computational biology, but worry that my lack of wet lab experience might hold me back from top MSTP programs. I've done some wet lab stuff for various classes and found it fairly uninteresting. I much prefer machine learning to pipettes. One of the labs I work in is a hybrid dry/wet lab but I only do work in the dry part. What advice do you have to ensure that I'm prepared to apply to MSTP programs? Should I try to seek out wet lab work before I apply? Maybe take a gap year?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There was probably a time where some programs would have seen dry lab as "not real science". I think that time is passed, and bioinformatics, statistics, algorithm and deep learning tools development are more relevant than ever. This has become part of the forefront of medicine.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users