How to Find a Gap-Year Dental Assistant Position?

Started by Hawk5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hawk5

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everybody:

I am going to be taking a gap year and I would like to find a Dental Assistant position during that time. Can anybody offer some advice on how to find a position like this? Should I cold call some offices, or just drop by with my resume?

If anybody has been successful in finding a Dental Assistant position, let me know how you did it! Any advice would be awesome.
 
I looked on craigslist and found someone who was looking to train someone. You might also check dentalpost, maybe there is something on there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good question. I actually have been searching for Lab Tech jobs etc (I will have a BS in Bio) but I am not having too much luck. And to be honest, I am not too fond of labwork. I would probably be happier learning about dentistry.
 
Good question. I actually have been searching for Lab Tech jobs etc (I will have a BS in Bio) but I am not having too much luck. And to be honest, I am not too fond of labwork. I would probably be happier learning about dentistry.

So much for a marketable degree. You would be better off working at McD; learning about dentistry is what ds are all about.
 
try asking the dentist(s) you shadowed if they need any help around the office since they know you and your goals! throw in some "volunteer" hours for training and i'm sure you will get some bites
 
Some states offer dental x-ray courses that get you certified to take x-rays in 3-6 weeks over the weekends. If you have that a lot of offices will take you