How to Find a Gap-Year Dental Assistant Position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawk5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody:

I am going to be taking a gap year and I would like to find a Dental Assistant position during that time. Can anybody offer some advice on how to find a position like this? Should I cold call some offices, or just drop by with my resume?

If anybody has been successful in finding a Dental Assistant position, let me know how you did it! Any advice would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

I looked on craigslist and found someone who was looking to train someone. You might also check dentalpost, maybe there is something on there.

Thanks for the response. Any more tips anybody??

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you are dead set on a da position, why not look for a job that is more in line with your degree?

Good question. I actually have been searching for Lab Tech jobs etc (I will have a BS in Bio) but I am not having too much luck. And to be honest, I am not too fond of labwork. I would probably be happier learning about dentistry.

Good question. I actually have been searching for Lab Tech jobs etc (I will have a BS in Bio) but I am not having too much luck. And to be honest, I am not too fond of labwork. I would probably be happier learning about dentistry.

So much for a marketable degree. You would be better off working at McD; learning about dentistry is what ds are all about.

Anybody with advice that is actually helpful?

try asking the dentist(s) you shadowed if they need any help around the office since they know you and your goals! throw in some "volunteer" hours for training and i'm sure you will get some bites

Some states offer dental x-ray courses that get you certified to take x-rays in 3-6 weeks over the weekends. If you have that a lot of offices will take you