How to find psychiatrists to hire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalPsych1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is a new account, as I can't figure out my old password. I'm not a regular poster, but I joined the site as a pre-med and am now an attending, and I'm a pretty regular reader/stalker around here.

I am about to become a medical director, and need to start hiring more outpatient psychiatrists for our (moderately large) mental health non-profit.

My initial plans are to contact the program coordinators at the nearest residency programs, and let them know we're hiring, as well as word of mouth through my med school and residency alumni networks.

Are there specific job boards you would recommend posting to? Or places where spending the $ on ads is worth it? Other creative ways to rally the troops? (It's a sweet gig, if I do say so myself, in an appealing geographic location, but I'm realizing how real the psychiatrist-shortage is!)

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

I usually place my ads on Craigslist or more recently on indeed.com when I need staff.

What part of the state?

Telepsych capable?

Thanks for the response. I didn't know if most psychiatrists would troll Craigslist for employment options or not. I will pursue that option. It's Bay Area -- no telepsych.

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if this is a violation (if it is, forgive me), but practicelink, APA job listing site, nejm career site are all places I've looked. Your best bet, though, is to hire a senior resident to moonlight and see how great the place is, then take them on full-time when they graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keifernny,
Moonlighting to full-time is how we normally get MDs (and what I did), but we've expanded and thus have more openings than usual right now, so I'm trying to be proactive and explore options beyond the usual resident pipeline.

Thanks for the suggestion, Shikima.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

This is a new account, as I can't figure out my old password. I'm not a regular poster, but I joined the site as a pre-med and am now an attending, and I'm a pretty regular reader/stalker around here.

I am about to become a medical director, and need to start hiring more outpatient psychiatrists for our (moderately large) mental health non-profit.

My initial plans are to contact the program coordinators at the nearest residency programs, and let them know we're hiring, as well as word of mouth through my med school and residency alumni networks.

Are there specific job boards you would recommend posting to? Or places where spending the $ on ads is worth it? Other creative ways to rally the troops? (It's a sweet gig, if I do say so myself, in an appealing geographic location, but I'm realizing how real the psychiatrist-shortage is!)

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Just offer a great salary with benefits and they will come

Just offer a great salary with benefits and they will come
Check.
Thanks all for the feedback. It sounds like we're doing what we should be and now it requires a bit of patience on my part.

New england journal of medicine job listings and indeed

Also search linkedin for local psychiatrists and throw out an offer, even for moonlighting if they have their own setup

Another thought.... When I was looking for jobs , I didn't take advantage of this, but my drug reps kept me updated re: who was hiring, who recently left, etc.

Reactions: 1 user