How to finish out pre-reqs while working full time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woktheline

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the end of mostly online education approaching this fall, I am starting to get more concerned how I will fit everything in my schedule the right way...

This semester and last has been basically ideal, all things considered... allowing asynchronous lectures and labs that I could work around during my day job. However, these will start being in person in the fall and some days I may be on campus an entire day.

I'm also in the interviewing process with a couple jobs that would be fully remote and pay substantially more, so I would be leaving my in-person lab job (for many reasons, this is the best move for me). How would you go about approaching this? Should I start looking at some courses that are offered entirely online?

What I have so far:

Bio I,II with labs
Chem I, II with labs (chem II in progress)
Physics I, II with labs (II in progress)
Statistics (from MS and some phd coursework)

What remains:

Biochem I - Fall
Organic I and II (with labs) - Summer then Fall
ECs/clinical/volunteering
MCAT*

I originally planned to matriculate Fall 2023 with my premed advisor's advice on this, but I want to hear a range of opinions - is this feasible? Has anyone done something similar?

Are there schools that you would recommend doing these latter courses online? I recognize these are going to be the "tougher" courses remaining, but for financial reasons, I would really like to be able to keep my job/prospective remote job. *Not to mention, I am worried how I will prep for the MCAT during FT work but I guess that could be it's own thread.

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

I took all of my pre-requisite courses and studied for the MCAT while working 50 hour/weeks.

Does the institution you're taking these courses at not have evening courses? I ended up taking the majority of my classes at night (like 6-9pm) after I was done with work. If you're at a large institution, they should be able to have some of these courses at later, more flexible times.

I'm not sure if all institutions will be 100% back in person in the fall. But Biochem is definitely one that I think you could take online since it doesn't have a lab component. For the others, if schools are back in person, it is probably best to take those in person as well. Most med schools require in-person labs, a requirement they've waived for the COVID times, but might come back if things go back to normal-ish.

As for studying for the MCAT, it really sucked. I studied for the MCAT over a 6 month period where I was also taking about 6 credit hours on top of my work. You'll need to figure out how much content review you do and that will determine how much and how long you need to study, but its definitely feasible.

Reactions: 1 user
I took all of my pre-requisite courses and studied for the MCAT while working 50 hour/weeks.

Does the institution you're taking these courses at not have evening courses? I ended up taking the majority of my classes at night (like 6-9pm) after I was done with work. If you're at a large institution, they should be able to have some of these courses at later, more flexible times.

I'm not sure if all institutions will be 100% back in person in the fall. But Biochem is definitely one that I think you could take online since it doesn't have a lab component. For the others, if schools are back in person, it is probably best to take those in person as well. Most med schools require in-person labs, a requirement they've waived for the COVID times, but might come back if things go back to normal-ish.

As for studying for the MCAT, it really sucked. I studied for the MCAT over a 6 month period where I was also taking about 6 credit hours on top of my work. You'll need to figure out how much content review you do and that will determine how much and how long you need to study, but its definitely feasible.
This is great feedback.

Responding to a few things:
1) The only evening courses offered are the labs themselves - there's only one section of organic and biochem each. It's a public school and well respected, just historically understaffed.
2) Understandable with labs. I know I can't avoid that for sure. But it doesn't look like my school offers either organic II or biochem online. Are there reputable programs that I could register for that are recommended for this situation? Cost isn't a limiting factor.

3) And for the MCAT, that's great news. I know I read alot of people who say that over 3 months isn't optimal because you get burnt out etc. but I do best with a longer study horizon for anything, let alone the most important test of my career. Did anyone at your job know about all this? Taking classes/MCAT prep etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great feedback.

Responding to a few things:
1) The only evening courses offered are the labs themselves - there's only one section of organic and biochem each. It's a public school and well respected, just historically understaffed.
2) Understandable with labs. I know I can't avoid that for sure. But it doesn't look like my school offers either organic II or biochem online. Are there reputable programs that I could register for that are recommended for this situation? Cost isn't a limiting factor.

3) And for the MCAT, that's great news. I know I read alot of people who say that over 3 months isn't optimal because you get burnt out etc. but I do best with a longer study horizon for anything, let alone the most important test of my career. Did anyone at your job know about all this? Taking classes/MCAT prep etc.?

How often do you feel that you need to attend class? One thing that helped me with my post-bac is that I was a pretty independent self-learner. I didn't often go to class outside of require quizzes/labs and just read the book. It made it a bit easier with my work and classes. Are there other nearby institutes who have already released their stance on virtual courses or have night classes?

If you don't have access to MSAR, I'd recommend it so you can make sure the schools you're interested in accept online courses in a non-COVID environment. I know some people have had success with the Harvard, UNE (New England), MGH (affiliated w/ Boston Mass Gen). I have not taken any courses from these institutions personally so I'd just say make sure you check that the biochem class fulfills the requirements (typically require an ochem class and a biology class as pre-requisites).

I think it ended up being closer to 9 months w/ the COVID MCAT cancellations. I got a little bit burned out during the end, but part of that was just my MCAT started running into the start of the app cycle and it felt like a lot doing both at the same time. There's a difference between actively studying w/ question banks and practice tests as opposed to actively reviewing material. My studying was spread out more due to other commitments I had, but I didn't start practice tests until about 4 months before the test.

People at my last job knew because I worked with a bunch of physicians who were super excited that I was applying to med school. Currently, I work at a consulting firm and no one knows. I can't wait to surprise them soon with my resignation and peace out.

How often do you feel that you need to attend class? One thing that helped me with my post-bac is that I was a pretty independent self-learner. I didn't often go to class outside of require quizzes/labs and just read the book. It made it a bit easier with my work and classes. Are there other nearby institutes who have already released their stance on virtual courses or have night classes?

If you don't have access to MSAR, I'd recommend it so you can make sure the schools you're interested in accept online courses in a non-COVID environment. I know some people have had success with the Harvard, UNE (New England), MGH (affiliated w/ Boston Mass Gen). I have not taken any courses from these institutions personally so I'd just say make sure you check that the biochem class fulfills the requirements (typically require an ochem class and a biology class as pre-requisites).

I think it ended up being closer to 9 months w/ the COVID MCAT cancellations. I got a little bit burned out during the end, but part of that was just my MCAT started running into the start of the app cycle and it felt like a lot doing both at the same time. There's a difference between actively studying w/ question banks and practice tests as opposed to actively reviewing material. My studying was spread out more due to other commitments I had, but I didn't start practice tests until about 4 months before the test.

People at my last job knew because I worked with a bunch of physicians who were super excited that I was applying to med school. Currently, I work at a consulting firm and no one knows. I can't wait to surprise them soon with my resignation and peace out.
I am doing pretty well so far, and while lectures do not help me in the slightest (I only do active recall/problem sets/quiz myself during class time) there's an arbitrary attendance marker even while on zoom. I don't know how my organic will be conducted, but I would assume the same.
And local schools have already said they are going in person 100% by fall.

With either of those jobs, did you mention your intention to go to med school or that you needed some flexibility in your work schedule (more broadly) on the front end? That does sound ideal to have your boss on board. I guess I am ultimately fearful in getting a position that fits my needs, but I didn't tell them I have some classes/MCAT going on etc. that it would bite me in the ass...

I am doing pretty well so far, and while lectures do not help me in the slightest (I only do active recall/problem sets/quiz myself during class time) there's an arbitrary attendance marker even while on zoom. I don't know how my organic will be conducted, but I would assume the same.
And local schools have already said they are going in person 100% by fall.

With either of those jobs, did you mention your intention to go to med school or that you needed some flexibility in your work schedule (more broadly) on the front end? That does sound ideal to have your boss on board. I guess I am ultimately fearful in getting a position that fits my needs, but I didn't tell them I have some classes/MCAT going on etc. that it would bite me in the ass...
It's too bad none of your local schools have evening classes - that's how I really ended up doing the majority of my courses. None of my classes had mandatory attendance either or any way to track attendance (large public institution).

Only the previous job I had knew about it and like I said, it was mainly because I was working with physicians who were really supportive of my journey. Even then, it didn't really interfere with my day to day work, because I took my classes in the evenings. Currently, no one at my job knows. I'm able to do all of my pre-med stuff outside of normal work hours. I had to take time off for interviews/studying/taking the MCAT but my work didn't require a doctor's note or anything so I just said I had an appointment and no one questioned me. I actually work with a lot of physicians and my manager joked that we should all quit our jobs and just go to med school instead, so that's the line I'm going to use to break the news to them all.

As an aside, when my class schedule inevitably switched to daytime classes as I progressed in prereqs, I quit my job and made a living babysitting and tutoring. So here's hoping that one of your remote jobs works out!