how to fulfill course requirements if you've already graduated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I got an interview invite from a school that requires 3 English courses. I know that most schools require only 2 English courses but this school requires one more. I have already graduated and am working full-time. If I get accepted to this school, I might actually consider going there. Yet, I need to fulfill that requirement before I can matriculate.

is anyone in my shoe? can you take online courses to fulfill that sort of requirements? I work and live out of state so I can't pay like 800 bucks to take the course at a community college.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I got an interview invite from a school that requires 3 English courses. I know that most schools require only 2 English courses but this school requires one more. I have already graduated and am working full-time. If I get accepted to this school, I might actually consider going there. Yet, I need to fulfill that requirement before I can matriculate.

is anyone in my shoe? can you take online courses to fulfill that sort of requirements? I work and live out of state so I can't pay like 800 bucks to take the course at a community college.

thanks

First, get in touch with the admissions office of that med school and find out exactly what qualifies as an "English course." Does it have to be taught from the English department, does it have to be one of a specified list of courses, or does it only have to be a writing intensive course, or one that required journal reviews, or one which required a thesis presentation, or similar. You might find that something in your background fulfills the requirement already.

Second, stay in touch with the admissions office and ask for advice if you can't meet the requirement from your previous education. If they do accept you, then they should be willing to help you figure out how to make them happy. Will they accept a distance learning course for something as 'routine' as English? Will they allow you to take an English night class your first semester of med school?

Third, start looking around your area for the cheapest classes. $800 seems like a lot from a community college for a single course. Are there any other options? Summer courses just before matriculation that you might could take in whatever city the med school is located?

thanks
You will have to take the class (as osli said stay in touch with them). Just go to the closest college and apply for the required class.

Actually, I was pointing out that he may not have to take the class. I was lacking one semester of English according to one school, and after contacting them and discussing the specific requirements and my options, I discovered that a "writing for thinking" class I had taken to fulfill an engineering writing requirement also met their admissions requirements.

You really need to get in touch with the admissions office and find out exactly what your situation is.