How to get a Dental Assisting Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalChoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently working as a research technician and I'm thinking of looking for a dental assisting position. How do I go about looking for those positions without certification as a dental assistant? Any responses would be helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Craigslist. That's what i did.

First off, I applaud your initiative to want to gain some experience in the dental field. It could be an asset to your application. Having worked as an assistant for a number of years, I'd like to throw a couple of things out there for you to think about.

First, have you checked the certification requirements in your state? In some states, certification is manditory.

Second, you will have better luck getting hired by an office that is willing to train. These offices are harder to find since most practices are trying to produce as much as possible and training someone slows down production (at least in the initial stages). You might try to find a sterilization tech or turn-over position. This type of assistant position would allow you to get a feel for how an office flows before you jump in chairside.

Third, be ready to convince the dentist and/or office manager you have some skills necessary to perform as an assistant. For instance, as an assistant you'll need to quickly learn (among other things) set ups for different procedures, the sterilization process, and most likely how to chart or record treatment. There's a learning curve for this if you don't have a dental background and you will need to convince the powers that be that you will be a quick study. Again, most are thinking about how this will effect office flow and production.

Good luck in your quest. I have some assisting materials that might be helpful to you. If you are interested, PM me.

Hi,

I'm currently working as a research technician and I'm thinking of looking for a dental assisting position. How do I go about looking for those positions without certification as a dental assistant? Any responses would be helpful, thanks!