How to get a job as an ER Tech or on an Ambulance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehighlander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a pre-med student at UCSD looking to get a part-time job as an ER Tech or on an ambulance because I would really like to get some clinical experience with patient interaction. I just got my EMT-B certification. I would definitely prefer to work as an ER tech, but everyone I've talked to says it's really competitive so I wouldn't mind working on an ambulance if plan A doesn't happen. Since I'm a full time student, I would like to work only one or two shifts a week if possible. What specific steps should I take in order to make this happen? Should I cold call local emergency rooms or show up in person and ask to speak to the director? What steps should I take to get a part-time gig on an ambulance?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Options to work in the field include both paid and volunteer positions. call local fire depts and local ambulance companies to ask about openings.
non-field positions include hospital and non-hospital based. check websites for local hospitals and/or go there and look at the job postings.
urgent care ctrs are also a good option as they will often hire emt-b's as part time help. lots of college students doing that sort of work.
good luck.