How to get ahold of doctors!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1 Up

+
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried all day to get shadowing opportunities at various clinics. I was hoping to actually get to see a doctor for a few minutes at least once--even though they are incredibly busy--but that didn't happen. I invariably got sent to Human Resources, where I was told that I'd be contacted in the future. This may or may not happen, as you all know.

I often get people telling me to simply contact my family physician to see if they can hook me up with some shadowing opportunities. So I got an appointment with her and asked if she knew any way that I could get some shadowing in and she said she'd let me know if anything came up. Well, that was like 1 month ago. So beyond simply getting an appointment with an FP, how else could I go about speaking to them directly?

I know I could get some opportunities if I could simply speak with doctors directly. How have you guys gone about ascertaining shadowing opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Open up the phone book and find a specialty in which you are interested. Do not call ahead. Go directly to the office and ask to speak with the doctor about shadowing as you will be entering medical school in the near future.

P.S. Easier still is finding an acquaintance to speak with and shadow. Think hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Open up the phone book and find a specialty in which you are interested. Do not call ahead. Go directly to the office and ask to speak with the doctor about shadowing as you will be entering medical school in the near future.

P.S. Easier still is finding an acquaintance to speak with and shadow. Think hard.
So once I get to the office, how would I go about getting past the secretaries and getting to the doctor? Would I just say that I'd be happy to wait for the doctor and just take a seat?

So once I get to the office, how would I go about getting past the secretaries and getting to the doctor? Would I just say that I'd be happy to wait for the doctor and just take a seat?

I've found that when speaking to someone face to face, be it a nurse or simply a desk secretary, they are much more willing to help me with my desires to shadow "their" doctor. The office won't see you in the same manner as they see patients. The very least you could do is make an appointment with the doctor right there in person so they know you are serious.

I've found that when speaking to someone face to face, be it a nurse or simply a desk secretary, they are much more willing to help me with my desires to shadow "their" doctor. The office won't see you in the same manner as they see patients. The very least you could do is make an appointment with the doctor right there in person so they know you are serious.
Okay, will do. Thanks!!!

This program is awesome for finding docs who are willing to let you shadow. There is generally a reall quick turn around time and the docs have already agreed to let students sahdow them (or else they wouldnt be apart of the program). I suggest that when you do the initial search you make it as general as possible, ie only search by city and state, so that you can see all of your options. From there, you can just pic docs that have specialties you are interested in.

I think this is a bit ballsy. Most doctors have insanely busy schedules. I mean no offense, but they have a million other, more important things to do than talk to you about shadowing. In my opinion, not calling ahead displays a lack of courtesy and common sense.

If you want to shadow a doctor, you should go through their administrative assistants. They are typically very friendly and are "in" with the doctors. If you don't get a response from a specific department, try another one. I found it was easier to shadow at a teaching hospital as the physicians there were accustomed to having students following them around.

Have you tried shadowing in the ER? There is usually so much craziness going in in there the docs don't mind (or even notice) another person following them around as long as you keep out of the way.

The biggest issues with shadowing in hospitals is that they have gotten very anal about HIPPA laws, and some will require you to pay for a background check (around $80 in my state.) But some have formal shadowing programs if you ask around...