How to get INPATIENT hours?

Started by cg11092
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cg11092

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting outpatient hours is easier it seems... I have plenty of those and now need some inpatient hours. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Preferably in a nursing home and general tips/how to is fine! How do you get in contact with the people you need to talk to about shadowing hours, rather than calling and just speaking to the front desk of the facility?

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Getting outpatient hours is easier it seems... I have plenty of those and now need some inpatient hours. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Preferably in a nursing home and general tips/how to is fine! How do you get in contact with the people you need to talk to about shadowing hours, rather than calling and just speaking to the front desk of the facility?

Thank you!

I had to contact the PT/Rehab departments directly in order to get my inpatient hours. Front desk staff or volunteer departments could not understand what I was asking for, or wanted me to go through an extensive orientation process and volunteer at a gift shop for several months before allowing me to volunteer in the PT departments. Once I contacted the PTs directly, it was easy to get started.
 
Yes, call an inpatient facility and ask them to connect you with PT department! Smaller inpatient facilities may have much less formalities and much more flexible, and you may not need to deal with application process, TB and other tests, etc. Large hospitals seem to be more likely to put you through a longer paperwork and waiting process.
 
I would advise against calling. The hospital in my area gets very busy and students are constantly calling to get hours. When I called I got the Rehab Coordinator's voicemail box. The message informed me that they were not able to take any more student observers as they were completely booked.

So I walked in there the next day and politely asked to speak with the Rehab Coordinator, informing them that I am a Pre-PT student. I booked 3 weeks worth of hours that day.

So if you are not a shy person then I would recommend being proactive and going to the facility directly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
 
Thanks everyone! I was able to get in contact with the PT department of a small, local nursing home where I will be getting inpatient hours this summer!
 
I had to contact the PT/Rehab departments directly in order to get my inpatient hours. Front desk staff or volunteer departments could not understand what I was asking for, or wanted me to go through an extensive orientation process and volunteer at a gift shop for several months before allowing me to volunteer in the PT departments. Once I contacted the PTs directly, it was easy to get started.

I had this exact same problem. They wanted me to go to an 8 hour orientation and pay a $99 "volunteer fee" and then volunteer at the front desk for two weeks before they said I would be allowed to observe doctors.

The people I was talking to just could not comprehend that all I wanted was to stand off to the side and observe/assist a PT. I don't think they knew what physical therapy really was because they made it seem like I as telling them I wanted to be in an operating room.

Didn't call, but just showed up at the main PT office and they let me schedule my hours whenever I wanted.