HOW to get into a MD/Phd(engineering)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petey Piston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm starting college at University of Michigan-AA and am curious of the possibilities of doing an MSTP after undergrad. I will say that I know I have quite a bit of time but as I understand MSTPs, especially in engineering, have various classes that you have to take on top of premedical coursework and it would be unwise to not plan ahead. I was wondering where I could find info on how to get into these programs and what coursework should I obtain. Also which major would help me fill these classes easier,except engineering.

I understand that choosing a major by personal interests is key, so I want to find a major that will make these interests a possibility. I'm doing first year research at umich and I'm extremely interested in neuro-engineering. Neuroscience is my selected major as of now!

Thanks, and pardon any grammar and punctuation mistakes:) using an iPhone

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in neuroscience, then leave that as your major, it'll make life easier. Take bioengineering classes in addition to your premed coursework. (Classes like Circuits, Transport Phenomena, Engineering Mechanics, Biomaterials) You may also want to take upper level mathematics courses.

AHHH! neuroscience again!

Members don't see this ad :)
My bioengineering major gave me a much more tangible perspective in physiology and medical devices in health care than any of my biology courses did. I'd consult with students in your BME major to see what you really want to do.

Also, you should come here after you have done at least a year of research.

Too many people in neuroscience these days.
And why does that matter? Do you think those people are posers or naive? Do you want more people in your own field? Afraid of competition?

Idk, I've seen this "too many people..." thing mentioned before and I don't understand what the problem is. Over the past few decades, neuroscience has become one of the fastest growing, most interdiscplinary, and most promising fields of study. Not to mention that the study of how the brain/mind works has been fascinating for centuries.

Sorry for de-railing the thread. Grad students I've talked to have told me that it's much harder to get into engineering PhD program for non-engineers. It's not just different classes- it's a different way of thinking and analyzing.

Grad students I've talked to have told me that it's much harder to get into engineering PhD program for non-engineers. It's not just different classes- it's a different way of thinking and analyzing.

I don't think it's the same application process for MD/PhD, though. You usually don't have to declare a department for at least the first year, so it wouldn't affect your acceptance to a school.

I don't think it's the same application process for MD/PhD, though. You usually don't have to declare a department for at least the first year, so it wouldn't affect your acceptance to a school.

True, didn't think of that. But the OP should also consider whether not doing engineering as undergrad would hamper his PhD work.

It depends on the undergrad/department/lab. I'm working in a BE lab now, but I'm a chem major, as is an MD/PhD student and a couple other postdocs in my lab. My lab uses a lot of chemistry, so my in depth knowledge may actually give me an edge over BE majors. From what I've heard, the program here covers a wide range of areas, but in relatively little depth. That said, there are probably labs where I would be at a disadvantage, but I'm sure that if I really wanted to go into that area I could do it for grad school.

And why does that matter? Do you think those people are posers or naive? Do you want more people in your own field? Afraid of competition?

Idk, I've seen this "too many people..." thing mentioned before and I don't understand what the problem is. Over the past few decades, neuroscience has become one of the fastest growing, most interdiscplinary, and most promising fields of study. Not to mention that the study of how the brain/mind works has been fascinating for centuries.

Sorry for de-railing the thread. Grad students I've talked to have told me that it's much harder to get into engineering PhD program for non-engineers. It's not just different classes- it's a different way of thinking and analyzing.

If I were to insult you, why would I post that? I like Neuroscience, a lot. I've been really into it before high school and during college. However, I'd feel weird going into it for graduate study, as much as I'd feel weird going into an Applied Math PhD. I like both, but the competition really puts me off from it. That's just me. Funding, at the end of the day is what matters. I'd rather do something else I find interesting if it can be funded well.

I don't necessarily think too many people, I just don't get it.

I think it makes sense to study a general field like Cell Biology or Molecular Biology because after you can do anything. Neuroscience is Molecular and Cellular Biology, but a neuroscientist is much more specialized and can have trouble switching gears.

I just don't really see the draw, but I see that it has some sort of status symbol. Our neuro department touted their undergraduate program as being the most competitive, elite program in the sciences, and I think many people were drawn to that. I just really didn't care.

Maybe people say the same thing to me about Infectious Diseases.

My bioengineering major gave me a much more tangible perspective in physiology and medical devices in health care than any of my biology courses did. I'd consult with students in your BME major to see what you really want to do.

Also, you should come here after you have done at least a year of research.

Quoted for deep truth. As far as premed requirements, most BME curricula have a nice degree of overlap. Anything extra is good basic science background too. Check if they have a "premed" track, which is just regular + extra courses.