how to get involved in reserach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i'm an MSIII and would really love hear any suggestions anyone might have on how to find research project i could participate in before next year's match. also any advise on how to spend time in an opth clinic/dept or approach a private being that my school does NOT allow electives during 3rd year. i'm eager to hear any advise you might have. feeling a little lost at this point. studied hard and got good grades/scores on boards but feel like i'm not making any gains since rotations started.
thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

DOapplicant said:
hi everyone!

i'm an MSIII and would really love hear any suggestions anyone might have on how to find research project i could participate in before next year's match. also any advise on how to spend time in an opth clinic/dept or approach a private being that my school does NOT allow electives during 3rd year. i'm eager to hear any advise you might have. feeling a little lost at this point. studied hard and got good grades/scores on boards but feel like i'm not making any gains since rotations started.
thanks again

Since no one responded, I'll go ahead and contribute my 2 cents. For starters, you can always contact the PD of the ophtho dept. at your school and express your interest in getting involved in research. If you don't have an ophtho dept. then find one nearest to you. Most likely, your responsibilities will involve literature searches and/or writing part of the paper. This may be difficult to do when you're supposed to be giving 100% of your effort to whatever rotation you're currently on but it's certainly doable, especially on lighter rotations.

Another option is to take a year off and do ophtho-related research. This helps to set you apart from the already impressive crowd that apply for ophthalmology. G'luck.

Some medical students don't do any meaningful research but just do an elective early in their 4th year.

I had quite a few papers, abstracts, and other stuff but I don't think it made any difference in getting a position. I think I got in due to superficial stuff like appearance, etc. :laugh: It happens all the time. Silly stuff is recognized, solid achievements are barely noticed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Visioncam said:
I think I got in due to superficial stuff like appearance, etc.

If that's the case, I should be cancelling derm interviews come 4th year. ;)

Visioncam said:
Some medical students don't do any meaningful research but just do an elective early in their 4th year.

I had quite a few papers, abstracts, and other stuff but I don't think it made any difference in getting a position. I think I got in due to superficial stuff like appearance, etc. :laugh: It happens all the time. Silly stuff is recognized, solid achievements are barely noticed.

I have to agree with this too. It helped me learn about ophthalmology, but I don't think that it made a difference as far as getting a position. Do it only if you are interested in it. BTW, most programs (except very academic programs) are more interested in your personality...etc.

thanks for the posts.

that subjective stuff really worries me. there's not a lot i can do. research seemed like something i might be able to control and be kind of definate and have more the words to prove my interest in the field. unfortunately,we don't have a ortho dept. guess i'll try online sites?