How to get LOR during away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I'm currently doing an away rotation at a place I would be happy to go to for residency. I also hope to get an LOR. The problem? There's a different attending each day of the week, so over 4 weeks, I'll get to work with the attendings 4 days max. Moreover, I spend most of the days with the residents or fellows.

Any tips on how to get an LOR while on an away rotation? Thanks so much in advance :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem. I only worked for a doc for 2 days and asked him for a letter. First of all, it does not matter that it is away.

Okay, here's my story. I went to the hospital knowing I was going to work with a new attending each day. I had a friend who had rotated there last year who told me he worked with a Dr. B for only 3 days and asked for a letter not really knowing how he did. On one of his interviews the interviewer incidentally told hiim that Dr. B wrote him a great letter.

So I got to work with Dr. B for only 2 days. The only thing I could control was that I read ahead of time and showed alot of enthusiasm. After the 2 days, I wasnt sure but a friend of mine told me to ask him because she said it sounded positive because he let me do alot.

This is what I did, I asked him how he thought I did and he was mainly positive. Then I asked him if he could write a letter for me. he said yes but needed extra info about where I grew up and my hobbies and stuff to make it a more meaty letter. So it sounds like it will be positive.

Okay, so I say that you try to find someone who you had a positive experience with, try to work with them more if possible. Ask them how you did. If they are positive, ask them for a letter. Have your CV, cover letter and envelope ready. You can ask multiple people to.

I would advise finding an upper level resident (preferably a friendly one) and asking them what students in the past have done. I did 2 away rotations. On one, the chief resident told me he had heard good "buzz" around the department about me, and that I should ask the chair for a LOR. I did (about had a nervous breakdown), she said "yes" and I got a great letter. Only worked with her for 3 days total...

On my second rotation, I took the same approach. The chief told me that the attendings didn't write letters for visiting students. I did a little research and found out this was true across the board. It sucked - I got a great evaluation, but no letter. But I saved myself a lot of stress by finding out the background info before someone turned me down.