How To Get There

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone mind providing information on how to get a PsyD or PhD (or even what the difference between the two is)?

I would like to know:
-required and/or recommended and/or best college major to choose
-GPA requirements
-ECs requirements
-any other pre-reqs, such as classes, jobs, etc
-good grad schools
-how to finance grad school
-expected pay for PsyD and/or PhD careers
-what you can do with a PsyD and/or PhD

I am most interested in medicine, but as a backup career...or really, something I would like to explore further...I seem to be intent on answering the "why" question in a psychological sense, so I am trying to branch out and see what other options exist in the world, while I am still in college! :D

Members don't see this ad.

All aspects of your zillion part question have been discussed adnaseum on this forum. Use the search tool.

Last edited:
Would anyone mind providing information on how to get a PsyD or PhD (or even what the difference between the two is)?

I would like to know:
-required and/or recommended and/or best college major to choose
-GPA requirements
-ECs requirements
-any other pre-reqs, such as classes, jobs, etc
-good grad schools
-how to finance grad school
-expected pay for PsyD and/or PhD careers
-what you can do with a PsyD and/or PhD

I am most interested in medicine, but as a backup career...or really, something I would like to explore further...I seem to be intent on answering the "why" question in a psychological sense, so I am trying to branch out and see what other options exist in the world, while I am still in college! :D

There is no "magic formula" that will get you into a school. And if you see a PhD or PsyD as a backup to anything, you are in for a rude awakening.

Members don't see this ad :)
All aspects of your zillion part question have been discussed adnaseum on this forum. Use the search tool.

No stickies on the subject? But thanks, I will use the search tool.

I'm not looking for a magic formula, krisrox. I'm just wondering, for example, if a psychology BA or BS is required, certain volunteering experiences, or other factors, as with an MD path. Again, I can use the search tool, but thanks.

It is something I would love to do (research in psychology) if medicine and neurology never existed. It is also something I am curious about, since I don't know much about it--maybe I do like it more, who knows?

All of these questions have been answered before, and most have multiple threads full of great answers. I would recommend taking some time and using the search function (towards the top right of the forum page) and searching through the clinical forum. There are also some excellent threads stickied at the top of the forum that would be worth reading.

Please do a search and bump any threads where you still have questions, as making another thread of common questions is rather pointless.

*MOD NOTE: Closing thread. -t4c*

Status
Not open for further replies.