How to go about calling the cycle finished?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got into one of my top choice schools. Talked to the wife, it looks like this would probably be the best place for us.

So I have a couple of questions about the process now...

A) How do I go about telling the schools that I currently have interviews scheduled at that I would like to cancel my interview. Would an email to their admin suffice?

B) If/when I definitively settle down on this school (like send in my deposit - probably in the next 2-3 weeks), how do I go about telling all of the other schools that I am no longer in the running? I am still waiting for interviews and stuff from 6 other schools, so no need to waste their time if I am pretty settled. Would I technically be withdrawing my application? Do I need to do anything with AACOMAS in particular or would I just contact each school individually? Is that what I would tell them - that I am withdrawing my application to their program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I e-mailed unless instructed to do otherwise. Yes, you'd be withdrawing from each school you contact, no you don't have to involve AACOMAS.

I really can't answer your question as I have very little experience in this matter (I did cancel my interview at Alabama via email, was very quick and painless), but I am very happy for you to have this "problem" :) Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats AS! Good to hear you got admitted!

I withdraw all of my IIs individually via email and just stopped filling out secondaries. If I got any other IIs I politely declined. I know you can withdraw your app via AACOMAS as well, but I didn't bother.

Got into one of my top choice schools. Talked to the wife, it looks like this would probably be the best place for us.

A) How do I go about telling the schools that I currently have interviews scheduled at that I would like to cancel my interview. Would an email to their admin suffice?

B) If/when I definitively settle down on this school (like send in my deposit - probably in the next 2-3 weeks), how do I go about telling all of the other schools that I am no longer in the running? I am still waiting for interviews and stuff from 6 other schools, so no need to waste their time if I am pretty settled. Would I technically be withdrawing my application? Do I need to do anything with AACOMAS in particular or would I just contact each school individually? Is that what I would tell them - that I am withdrawing my application to their program?

Congrats on kcumb!!!

Don't over think it. Just say thank you for the opportunity to interview, but you've accepted the offer from another school. Then add some BS like you look forward to working with their graduates in the future.

Awesome thanks yall. I figured it would just be a quick email, just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I should do.

Thanks a bunch also on the congrats. I definitely feel really good about KCUMB. It definitely felt right and I think I will have to room to grow there.

Reactions: 8 users
u actually don't have to anything if u don't want to... just give them complete silence like they do to us all of the time lol

Reactions: 2 users
u actually don't have to anything if u don't want to... just give them complete silence like they do to us all of the time lol
As "cool" and "revenge-y" as it sounds, it isn't fair for people that are waiting for interview spots and don't have an acceptance yet.

As "cool" and "revenge-y" as it sounds, it isn't fair for people that are waiting for interview spots and don't have an acceptance yet.
Yea exactly... I want to give them as much notice as possible. My DMU interview is scheduled for early october and my ACOM interview is set for early december. I am sure that is enough time to give a spot to someone else. They are good schools... I just found the one that fit and I happened to find that fit early. So no need to slow down anyone else still searching.

Congrats!

Do you mind sharing approx how long after you were complete did you receive IIs?

Congrats!

Do you mind sharing approx how long after you were complete did you receive IIs?
Absolutely. So I was complete at various schools at different times. The final parts of my application were submitted in late July. Like most of my secondaries were in early-mid July, but I was waiting on my committee letter until roughly July 21st. I sent it to all of the schools that day. From my rough list of dates, I see that I have some completion emails on 7/22, 7/24, 7/25. But then some schools I was not complete at until literally this week! haha... its like some schools just randomly picked up my file early, while others randomly got to it late. I would argue that regional bias plays into this... I live in the midwest and all of my midwest schools said I was complete within a week. Then my east coast schools said I was complete late August into September, even though I sent them my stuff at the same time as the other schools.... So long answer... it varied.

Here are the rough dates that I have:
DMU - Complete 7/22.... Interiew invite 8/27.... Interview scheduled for October 3rd (I think)
KCUMB - Complete 8/13.... Interview invite 8/20..... Interview was 9/10.... Accepted 9/15
MUCOM - Complete 7/24... Interview invite 8/8.... Interview was 9/13
ACOM- Complete 7/25..... Interview invite 9/3..... Interview scheduled for December 5th (or something like that)

Thats all of the interview invites I have so far. So as you can see it varies dramatically. There truly is no rhyme or reason to it... What will really cook your noodle is the fact that I poured my heart and soul into most of my east coast secondaries (I started those ones first), and then got to most of my midwest secondaries later and they were definitely not as strong (most had worse essay questions and I was burnt out by that time haha). And yet here I am with 3/3 midwest schools inviting me for interviews. I would argue that my KCUMB secondary was probably my 2nd or 3rd worst (out of 10 schools) secondary that I wrote, I had basically no confidence for KCUMB, MUCOM, or ACOM in particular. I just remember feeling like crap about my essays but I knew I wanted to just get them in fast. I was REALLY burnt out at that point and was super stressed with work and whatnot. Yet here I am with KCUMB being my only acceptance and the place I will likely end up at. I dont even give a crap about the east coast schools after visiting there. It felt like home and its good for my wife's work. If you were to ask me even 2 months ago where I would end up, my answer would definitely be different than now. I expected to hear back from CUSOM and VCOM in particular very fast. I got nada from them. I expected to hear nothing from ACOM, MUCOM, and KCUMB and they got to me relatively early. One truly has no control over this whole thing.

This whole med school application process is a complete crap shoot. Now that I am on the other side, I can say with full confidence that I have no clue what the heck just happened to me haha...

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Commendable job, Awesome. Looking forward to closing out on this process myself, and hopefully only a few months from now.

Congratulations - not to be flip, but now that is the kind of problem to have!

Congrats! How nice to get this figured out so early on in the cycle, now you and the wifey can plan for several months of "together" time before school starts. :)

Congrats A.S, well done.

Sorry you won't be interviewing at ACOM, but if you're content with your option then good luck and all the best. I didn't go on any more interviews after getting my acceptance last year, I know the feeling. And I am at a school that was a 2nd thought on my list initially, was hoping/expecting to get somewhere closer to home (NE) but never heard anything from the local schools.
All the best, just politely decline new IIs by email or inform current scheduled ones that you have made your decision and would like to pass on the II. - nothing more is needed. It's like turning down a date, a simple no-thank you is all that is required.

Confirmed by the way. I emailed a friendly email to the schools I had interviews lined up for and it was no problem, they thanked me for the heads up and took me off the list. No trouble at all.

Wow congrats man! I didn't know DO schools are already handing out acceptances!

Wow congrats man! I didn't know DO schools are already handing out acceptances!
I dont know if its normal or what, I definitely thought it would be later. Heck when I started the cycle I thought interviews didnt even start until like October. But I will take it and call myself extremely fortunate.

Reactions: 1 users
Confirmed by the way. I emailed a friendly email to the schools I had interviews lined up for and it was no problem, they thanked me for the heads up and took me off the list. No trouble at all.

Great to hear your good news - you are a positive force here on SDN and I am very excited for you!

What were your major considerations for picking KCUMB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not necessarily in any order:
>The fact that when I interviewed, the community of students were very similar to me - more non-trads and adults (in comparison to some other schools).
>I felt truly at home hanging out and talking with the students, I cannot stress this enough. The people were truly amazing... I felt no elitism, no gunnerism, just normal people trying to become physicians.
>This is one of the top areas for my wife to find work (she is working on her masters in an obscure field). KC is definitely better than most areas with schools I applied to - MUCOM maybe being the only other school that is better in that regard.
>The cost is reasonable and the fact that they are the only school that I know of that is actively trying and succeeding in lowering their tuition. All other schools that I know of have, and plan on continuing to raise their tuition by roughly 2-4% every year.
>Historically their board scores are extremely high and they get people into some solid residencies (the only school off the top of my head that I know of that got someone into ACGME integrated plastics). So they clearly have the tools one needs to succeed, if one is so inclined to do very well.
>I legitimately do appreciate stuff like the score 1 (and possibly score 2) for health programs. It is surprising when you visit some other schools or talk to students and you ask about clinical opportunities and all they can bring up is SIM labs and shadowing... which seriously every med school has now.
>Their research, while not being off the charts good, is adequate for what I want to do. I could legitimately see myself being tempted by the fellowship year... we shall see. I actually appreciate that they actively say that they have research opportunities, but their primary goal is to make clinicians - thats pretty much my career motto. I have been working in research for years and I want to do other types of work honestly... but I dont necessarily want to stop doing research entirely. I just want it to a lesser extent than I want clinical work.
>Turns out my brother and sister in law live in KC. Having lived 900 miles away from the closest relative for the past year, thats actually pretty cool. I ended up staying with them for the interview.
> I actually really like the campus and facilities and it really reminds me of my undergrad. Again this added to the "home" feel of it and it just felt right.

Probably my biggest pros are just gut feel of meshing well with the students (this was DRAMATICALLY different than my other interview) and then opportunities for my wife.

My only cons at this point (which as you know is why I PM'd you) is to get a handle on their rotations and get a handle on why their program seems so much harder in comparison to where I work at (an MD school) and at other schools I have interviewed at and talked to students at.

Basically in a nutshell it really did just fit. Before the cycle started I never really understood the whole "fit" thing, and would have just been happy to get in anywhere. And while sure I can appreciate that if it meant being a doctor vs not being a doctor, I would go anywhere. But I am shocked by how much "fit" actually meant to me.

Its just like when you know, you know... I wouldnt say its like falling in love or something, because thats too flowery and emotional, but after visiting a couple schools there absolutely was a definitive feel to KCUMB that makes me feel pretty secure in that decision. Sure I still have some reservations about a couple things, but I will do some research, continue talking to current students, and will hopefully be able to do decent there.

Last edited:
Its just like when you know, you know... I wouldnt say its like falling in love or something, because thats too flowery and emotional, but after visiting a couple schools there absolutely was a definitive feel to KCUMB that makes me feel pretty secure in that decision. Sure I still have some reservations about a couple things, but I will do some research, continue talking to current students, and will hopefully be able to do decent there.

I felt this as well. Glad to have nabbed that acceptance from KCUMB as well, holding out until after my DMU results to choose. But those were the two frontrunners after I visited both campuses anyways. Congrats Saucy, glad to see some of your work paying off after your SDN contributions. Perhaps we will be classmates? Good luck.

Congrats, A.S.! I haven't really posted much on SDN, but I often see your posts around and they have been a tremendous source of help! Thank you for your contributions to SDN to help some of us lost ones out, and I'm glad that the application cycle ended up being so short and favorable for you! All the best at KCUMB!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Haha no problem at all, I appreciate the kind words. I figure I have a lot of free time at work, so might as well use it to nerd up on the med school process and help some people out.

Haha no problem at all, I appreciate the kind words. I figure I have a lot of free time at work, so might as well use it to nerd up on the med school process and help some people out.
Congrats on the acceptance!!

Congratulations!!! I knew you'd have no problems this cycle. KCUMB is one of my top choices as well - really an excellent school.

Big congrats man. I've seen you around the forums pretty frequently and you are always happy to lend a helping hand to others. I'm really happy you got it paid back to you and with such haste. You're going to be a great addition to your community as a physician. Here's to continued success!

Congrats!! I am still deciding but maybe I will be one of your classmates next year :) I didn't get my official acceptance packet yet - do you happen to know how long we have to submit a deposit?

Awesome thanks yall. I figured it would just be a quick email, just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I should do.

Thanks a bunch also on the congrats. I definitely feel really good about KCUMB. It definitely felt right and I think I will have to room to grow there.
Congrats Awesome!!!

Interviewing at KCUMB October 3 and excited to check it out. Its at the top of my list.

Congrats, man. You're going to do great at KCUMB! We've come a long way from our underdawg thread neuroticism in July ;)

I would strongly consider going on your DMU interview just to see. It is a great school with an atmosphere of students that I felt was pretty unique.
You don't have a lot to lose in doing so and you may just find an even better fit?

I would strongly consider going on your DMU interview just to see. It is a great school with an atmosphere of students that I felt was pretty unique.
You don't have a lot to lose in doing so and you may just find an even better fit?
Already canceled it. I had money, time, and better working opportunities for my wife at Des Moines in comparison to KC to lose unfortunately, so I ended up just calling it.

For all those wondering, I will be putting down my deposit at KCUMB once I get the official envelope in the mail from the school. The more I looked, the better it seemed to fit with my goals.

Already canceled it. I had money, time, and better working opportunities for my wife at Des Moines in comparison to KC to lose unfortunately, so I ended up just calling it.

For all those wondering, I will be putting down my deposit at KCUMB once I get the official envelope in the mail from the school. The more I looked, the better it seemed to fit with my goals.
I might see ya there!

Was just about to write back to you from last week and saw this thread. Glad you were able to make a sound decision! Best of luck, sir.

Just wanted to drop a congrats. I was accepted to my first choice school as well and will be sending the mass withdrawal emails too.

Cheers!

Just wanted to drop a congrats. I was accepted to my first choice school as well and will be sending the mass withdrawal emails too.

Cheers!
I am making sure to get my secondary refunds before I withdraw heh... Even though the cycle is over for me I want my dang money from my financial assistance waiver.

This might be a bit embarrassing but I can't find the right words to withdraw from my scheduled interviews. Anyone want to help out? Short and brief?

This might be a bit embarrassing but I can't find the right words to withdraw from my scheduled interviews. Anyone want to help out? Short and brief?

I sent something like, "Dear X, I regrettably will no longer be attending my interview on Day, Date. I hope another student will be able to take my seat. Thank you very much for this opportunity at School Y. Please let me know if there is any further information I need to provide in order to cancel my interview. Sincerely, ananasmed"

Don't know if that's the best way to phrase it, but I received emails back saying, "Thanks for letting us know, good luck in your future endeavors!" so I don't think it was too abrasive.

Edit: Some schools I actually called and they removed me from the schedule but asked me to also send an email that they could add to my file. Everyone I talked to on the phone was also very nice and understanding, even though I felt way more awkward about having to say it over the phone!

Yea I said something along the lines of:
"Dear school X,
After receiving an acceptance at a school that I believe is in line with both my, and my family's goals I am withdrawing my application from your institution. I thank you so much for your consideration and look forward to working with your graduates as future colleagues."

Something to the point I think is good.