How to go about finding an internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer716

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I was wondering how to secure an internship prior to starting pharmacy school. I heard that once one is accepted, he or she is eligible to intern. How do I go about it? Do I look online or do I call up the pharmacies near my area?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: Go to the chains presentations or seminars they offer. (if they offer them at your school)
Step 2: Find who the Regional Recruiters or Pharmacy Supervisors are for the chain you plan to apply.
Step 3: Go to some of the stores around you and ask the pharmacist you want to intern there and they usually will give you the pharmacy supervisors or recruiters #.

I got a CVS internship through the regional recruiter who came to our school to give us a presentation about CVS. I approached him after the presentation and told him i wanted to work for his company. Within a week i had a Supervisor call me for an interview.
I got an internship with Meijer (which is pretty exclusive in this area of the town) by emailing the clinical coordinator a few times to ask if any positions were open until i heard back when a position opened.

Just my personal experience :)

Good Luck

Edit: I just re read your post and you can not become an intern prior to starting pharmacy school and obtaining your intern license from the state. Wait until then and then you can look for an internship.

Reactions: 1 users
Edit: I just re read your post and you can not become an intern prior to starting pharmacy school and obtaining your intern license from the state. Wait until then and then you can look for an internship.

This is not necessarily true...it's gonna depend on your state rules and regulations. Search for "[your state] board of pharmacy intern"

If nothing else you can always email or call your state's board of pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: Go to the chains presentations or seminars they offer. (if they offer them at your school)
Step 2: Find who the Regional Recruiters or Pharmacy Supervisors are for the chain you plan to apply.
Step 3: Go to some of the stores around you and ask the pharmacist you want to intern there and they usually will give you the pharmacy supervisors or recruiters #.

I got a CVS internship through the regional recruiter who came to our school to give us a presentation about CVS. I approached him after the presentation and told him i wanted to work for his company. Within a week i had a Supervisor call me for an interview.
I got an internship with Meijer (which is pretty exclusive in this area of the town) by emailing the clinical coordinator a few times to ask if any positions were open until i heard back when a position opened.

Just my personal experience :)

Good Luck

Good advice.