How to go about shadowing a D.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biodude

The Biology DUDE
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone,

seeing as how I'm stuck at home with nothing to do, I thought that maybe I should get a jumpstart to finding out about D.O.'s and Osteopathic Medicine by contacting some to see which ones I could shadow. I'm not sure how to go about it, though I do have a list of several D.O.'s in my area (and they were hard to find too!)

Well, my problem is, how should I go about contacting them? Maybe just drive up to their offices and explain that I'm a pre-med looking into Osteopathic Medicine and would like to shadow them? Or should I call their offices first? :confused:

I'm not sure what to say. So for those of you out there who have shadowed or are shadowing a D.O. (since it's basically required for most of the Osteo schools), may I hear your advice on how to go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be an incoming student at NYCOM in the Fall , and maybe I can help you out with this one.

Definitely call their office, and introduce yourself as a premed student interested in learning more about Osteopathic Medicine. In my experience, I've found that DO's are very receptive to people interested in Osteopathic Medicine, and are very accomodating. They've probably had other people shadow them, or they know what it's all about since they went through it too. Just be honest with your intentions about shadowing, and you will be fine. I guess your biggest hurdle will be to get past the receptionist who will receive your call, sometimes they don't get why you'd be going to their office if you're not sick. This is where charm comes in handy. :D

If you still have problems getting hold of a DO, you should go through a hospital where you've worked or volunteered and ask for their help. In this way, you'll have someone from the inside on your side. DO's are everywhere, there's bound to be at least one in your local hospital. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the suggestions, JonDO. Unfortunately, I'll have to work on the charm :laugh:

I'll go ask at the hospital I volunteer at, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a pre-med organization at your school like AMSA or such, they might have a directory of physicians to shadow. My school's pre-med AMSA had one.

You might see if there is a local Osteopathic Medical Society/Association (probably at the county level). They may be able to assist you also.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone! Last time someone asked this question here, it didn't get answered, but I figured to try anyhow. I'm glad that I got answers, and I will also look into the pre-med organization at my university. They must have a list if 85 percent of their recommended pre-med students end up in med school (many of which head off to Osteopathic as well as Allopathic)!

I'm not so sure about a county level Osteopathic Medical Society/ Organization where I live (Orange County, CA), but I'll check it out and see.

Once again, thanks to everyone that answered!:clap:

Well, I looked in the phone book and typed a letter explaining who I was and what I was trying to do. I think that it is a good idea to mail a letter because the Dr. offices are sooo busy that it makes it a little easier for them to respond. I shadowed two D.O.'s that way. But, also, I contacted my state's osteopathic medical association. They gave me a list of doctors that other students had shadowed. They also had alot of info on scholarships and the application process. Good luck!

I agree with the previous reply. I also looked up D.O.'s in my area picked about 20 and wrote them letters. About 7 of them replied and I visited with 5 of them.