How to handle a heavy course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pastelblue

I'm stuck in a situation where I have to take Genetics with either Organic Chemistry II with Lab and Anatomy and Physiology with Lab or Biochemistry and Physics I. Here's the break down:
  • Option 1: 12 hours
    • Genetics (4)
    • Anatomy and Physiology w/ Lab (4)
    • Organic Chemistry II w/ Lab (4)
  • Option 2: 14 hours
    • Genetics (4)
    • Physics I (4)
    • Biochemistry (3)
    • Mandatory Research Class with most likely minimal homework (3)
Either way, both will be pretty heavy. Option 1 has 2 labs which are difficult and option 2 have no labs but more science classes. I won't be taking any other classes with these options. How can I be successful and avoid hurting my GPA? Which scenario would be better?

*Another option is taking it during the summer, but I would really like to do something else like research or an internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
both options are not heavy, in fact they are very standard to a premed's schedule layout. But if you feel it's heavy for you then you should drop one science class and add a fill in.

both options are not heavy, in fact they are very standard to a premed's schedule layout. But if you feel it's heavy for you then you should drop one science class and add a fill in.
I'd have to pick one of these options to stay in schedule, but my freshman year had 2 sciences max. As premed, I guess I should get used to 3+ science classes. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No it's okay if you're not comfortable with that many science classes if you're not a bio major. I would recommend option 2 btw, more science classes is better than more lab classes. However, it's better to take ochem 2 before biochem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm stuck in a situation where I have to take Genetics with either Organic Chemistry II with Lab and Anatomy and Physiology with Lab or Biochemistry and Physics I. Here's the break down:
  • Option 1: 12 hours
    • Genetics (4)
    • Anatomy and Physiology w/ Lab (4)
    • Organic Chemistry II w/ Lab (4)
  • Option 2: 14 hours
    • Genetics (4)
    • Physics I (4)
    • Biochemistry (3)
    • Mandatory Research Class with most likely minimal homework (3)
Either way, both will be pretty heavy. Option 1 has 2 labs which are difficult and option 2 have no labs but more science classes. I won't be taking any other classes with these options. How can I be successful and avoid hurting my GPA? Which scenario would be better?

*Another option is taking it during the summer, but I would really like to do something else like research or an internship.
As another poster mentioned, both of these schedules are very common. They seem "heavy" because most freshman only take two intro sciences at once.

Best way to deal with this type of schedule: time management. Make sure to set aside blocks of time everyday designated for studying for each class. Try to stay ahead if you can because any one confusing lecture can set you behind.