how to help person with program closure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justwondering

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a family friend(FMG) of ours is in a family med program where there are rumors that it may shut down. she is supposed to be a pgy2 this july.

im supposed to be matching this month....im wondering if i will be able to access the "scramble" list on scramble day. would it be a violation of any rules if i passed it along to her?

what other options does she have in helping her find a spot? what abt thru the rrc?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how to answer your question about the scramble list.

However, when I was interviewing, there was an AMG there who was applying for a PGY-3 position because her program was being shut down. She told me that the programs generally help residents to find new positions in situations like this. Perhaps your friend could talk to their program director to see if they know of any available openings?

Go to findaresident.com there are many PGY2 positions open to start July. There is also a national hotline for FP openings that lists a bunch of programs specifically for family practice-dont have the number.

Technically, giving the Scramble list to someone not enrolled in the match is a violation. I doubt that you would be found out, or sanctioned, but since you asked if it was allowed, I figured I'd weigh in.

Your friend's program has until April 1 to let the residents know whether or not they will be rehired and to produce contracts for next year. If they are happy where they are, it might be premature to take a spot in the scramble unless those rumors are particularly well-founded.

I thought if you matched you were not able to get a hold of the scramble list, but I could be wrong. I recall us discussing this last year...it might be posted by someone who is, or on places like Scutwork.

Technically, giving the Scramble list to someone not enrolled in the match is a violation. I doubt that you would be found out, or sanctioned, but since you asked if it was allowed, I figured I'd weigh in.

Your friend's program has until April 1 to let the residents know whether or not they will be rehired and to produce contracts for next year. If they are happy where they are, it might be premature to take a spot in the scramble unless those rumors are particularly well-founded.

I thought if you matched you were not able to get a hold of the scramble list, but I could be wrong. I recall us discussing this last year...it might be posted by someone who is, or on places like Scutwork.

You're right...if you match you WILL NOT have access to the scramble list

thanks again! they (the match ppl) recently sent us an email saying that we dont have access to the scramble list to prevent ethical problems or somehting. so that takes care of that.

To answer the OP's first question... never, repeat NEVER trust a rumor. There are always rumors floating around that such and such program is closing. It is rarely true. If it is the case then her program will be responsible for helping her find a new program to complete her residency. There are always openings at various places for PGY-2 and beyond, and some residency programs without actual openings can absorb one or more residents if needed. We took one from New Orleans after Katrina. She needs to be conferring with her PD to find out the truth.

Secondly... the scramble is only open to those in the match who did not match, so no you cannot scramble to another program if you matched at the one you heard is closing.