how to improve chances after weak interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justcurious09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interview at my first choice school did not go well. It could have gone worse, but for whatever reason the PD and I did not get off on the right foot. I did get along with other interviewers.

I'm actually a very strong candidate - demonstrated interest in psych, several honors in core rotations (including psych), radiology-like board scores- and my first choice program is not on any top ten list, but it is still a good program (and smallish).

What can I do to improve my chances now?

I do plan on going back for a second look. After telling them they are my first choice, can I ask them point blank if they have any concerns about my application?

Members don't see this ad.

why do you think it went bad? just wondering... im sure its not as bad as you think. :luck:

Assuming you're not over-worrying about this...

There really isn't much you can do other than write a letter & mention you are very interested in the program & why.

Doing too much will probably just tick the program off. That's what happened in my own program. We had a few people call us like 10x, asking the same questions over & over and the program coordinator who often times is the dept secretary is up to her eyeballs in stress over this, having to sort through hundreds to thousands of applications & applicants very worried over this process. The last thing she needs is someone calling her up & saying between the lines that he/she is worried. It'll just make that person tell the program director you're ticking them off, and then bamn---that PD only has a few other hundred of applications to go through, they might just throw that candidate's file into the shredder.

If you call like once or twice & ask relevant questions, no problem. Ask 10x and sound like you're stressed out, over-worried & ask the same questions over & over & over-you're going to frustrate them.

The keys to several doors lies with the secretary/program coordinator.