How to improve my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinny34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm starting to get my reapplication stuff done for the 2008 cycle, currently sitting on a hold status at SUNY downstate that will probably turn into a rejection.

3.25 overall gpa
3.37 bcpm
35L (11B 11V 13P)

EMT for two years, lots of volunteering in hospitals, tutoring, etc. the typical stuff.

I'm also planning on going on a medical volunteer trip to the dominican republic for a week this summer, where i would be assisting doctors care for the patients in poor villages.

Oh, and I was a late applicant last year, submitted my secondaries in october/november, and got two interviews.

Should I just apply early (June) this year, and cross my fingers, or should I be putting some more effort into extra curriculars or even take some night classes?

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is obviously the weak part. What is the breakdown like over the years? How many science credits do you have and how many overall credits?

EDIT: I'd definitely apply, though. You stand a good chance with your MCAT.

GPA is obviously the weak part. What is the breakdown like over the years? How many science credits do you have and how many overall credits?

EDIT: I'd definitely apply, though. You stand a good chance with your MCAT.

Freshman Yr: 2.9
Sophomore: 3.3
Junior: 3.4
Senior: 3.5

I know an upward trend will help me, but i haven't taken too many science credits, only about ~50 BCPM credits and 138 overall.

The only effort you should be putting forth is GPA and applying. As the other poster stated, you may have a chance this time a round. If you're feeling lucky, do so (many schools of different selectivity), but you really should look at ways to increase that ugrad GPA.