How to improve my application for 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockHardIce

Returned to Stock
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My stats - Undergraduate Biology:Microbiology overall GPA 3.86 (in final semester)
#TA microbiology for 1 semester
#Organic Chemistry tutor 1 semester
#Clinical Lab Assistant 1 semester
#Volunteered at a hospital for one summer
( I only got 4 semesters at the university since I transferred from a CC. I worked part-time in retail during that time to survive my early days in USA)

How may I improve my application besides shadowing ?
I have about 1 year to devote after my undergraduate.

-I am also preparing for the DAT

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:I'd say you're pretty much SOLID.
HIGH gpa and competitive DAT.
You're EC's are above average I'd say.

I probably don't think that you need to do anything crazy in the next year to improve your status.
But definitely don't slack off and do nothing, but maybe if there's some research or some other opportunity that you've been interested in, then go for it!
:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm very confident that you'll get in at least a couple places (granted you don't screw up the interview :eek:)

Ah, sorry, but what I'd suggest is maybe searching for a dental assisting job?
That's what I'm doing this year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
HIGH gpa and competitive DAT.

)

But the OP said that he/she was just preparing for the DAT...

Anyway, I didn't see you mention shadowing, so if you didn't do that I highly recommend that you do.

I'd say do more than just shadow...do some dental-related volunteering or work. The reason I mention this is because AADSAS has a section that asks you to list "dentistry experience" and it would be nice to write more than just shadowing. Otherwise you are sold on work experience and research experience.

Second, maintain your high GPA...don't get over confident and slack off or you'll probably regret it later. Study hard for the DAT and you'll get in no problem.

Also, during this year try to think of potential people to write your letters of recommendation. If you look around the forums you will see how so many people are stuck waiting for a promised letter (and how frustrating it can be). Ask EARLY and give your writers a solid deadline of when to turn them in. (maybe have a back-up person in mind as well)

Best of luck to you!:) You are definitely on the right track to get accepted.

ya, like others said. You really need some dental experience. Other than that. All you need is a high DAT score to compliment you high gpa.

the only other thing I'd suggest is to pick up a hobby that involves manual dexterity (building model cars, jewelery making, etc.). Dental schools like to see this, and there's a question about it in the application.

What else can a person do in terms of work/volunteering in the dental field? And what other things can we do that involve manual dexterity?

Thanks EVERYONE for giving the encouraging comments!! :love: I am looking forward to get some research as well as dental experience. Hopefully everything works out and I too, become one of your dental school classmates!! :thumbup: