gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior undergrad Kinesiology major,Chemistry minor at a small public university graduating May 2020.

Freshman GPA: 3.74
Sophomore GPA: 3.82
Predicted Junior GPA: 3.42
Predicted Senior GPA: 3.85

Predicted final cumulative GPA: 3.7 Predicted final science GPA: 3.36

ECs: mentored international exchange students, volunteered in local ER, tutored college algebra/physics, work as a camp counselor during summer, after school tutoring for elementary students,member of pre-health club and honors club, and volunteering at other various small events.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, I plan to either spring or summer of 2020.

My adviser recommends that I pursue an honors degree at my college. This consists of an upper level scientific writing class, an individualized research project, required poster presentation, and required honors course with final thesis paper; research brings the possibility of publication.

My research project will be focused on rural healthcare in partnership with my school’s graduate PA program.

I plan on taking 1-2 gap years after graduation to improve my application and gain more experience.
Current plans for after graduation are to remain tutoring elementary students and find a full-time healthcare related job (pharmacy technician, scribe, etc.). I feel like I need a break from schooling to refresh and prepare for med school.

In the end, I would be fine with attending either MD or DO school.

I honestly feel kind of lost on what I should do next.

Questions:
1. Should I pursue the honors degree?
2. What should I do during my gap year(s) to strengthen my application?

1. An "honors" degree has no effect on an MD application. The opportunities afforded to you may have some effect but we are not privy to these nuances on a school by school basis.
2. Any experience that gives you more to talk about on your interviews is a good investment, in yourself and your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, are you from a Canadian university applying to US universities? If your university differentiates the number of years by "Honours" being four and standard being three, then you need to take the four year degree option and not the three. The US automatically forces the "Honours" through its system, but this is elective in the Commonwealth systems. That said, the Canadians are completely 4-year "Honours" in certain majors (engineering and computer science) and are getting that way toward others. If you are coming from that system, you need to take the option that 60 of your credits come from the upper division classes in the major, not the shorter 36 credits as that would not be acceptable for a conversion.

@gyngyn is referring to the US Honors degree system, which is correct and I concur with the advice if that is the case if you are going to a US university. We do not differentiate between the 4-year US standard Bachelor's or the 4-year US Honors Bachelor's with some out of the way requirements as the credits and upper division exposures are generally equal (although the Honors has more footwork). But for Canadians, we do care that the Bachelor's is a four-year, which can mean "Honours". Your major in kinesiology could be either form in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.