How to improve my chances of matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhIII

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just starting my 3rd year in medical school and am very interested in anesthesiology. I just got my boards back and got a 230. Will I be competitive with this score? What can I do this year to improve my chances?
What are your opinions on doing away rotations at schools I want to go to?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

230 should get you an interview at any residency in the country. Don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you search the forum, or even get a few pages into this forum, you'll see this question and variants of it asked over and over and over again. and then some more. 230 is borderline unless you have x-ray vision!

230 is not borderline, unless things have changed. When I took the boards, 230 was getting close to 1 standard deviation above the average. Granted, aneshesiology has become more competitive recently, but 230 will not preclude you from matching, and you will probably get interview offers from great programs as long as you don't have any red flags.

Other things are important. Get good grades. Work hard. Be nice. Don't whine. Get to know people so you can get some good letters. Apply early. Read the other posts on the forum about matching.

DreamMachine said:
I have to admit, you did sound serious when you said that. I am a fan of sarcasm though.

i'm the deadest of the deadpan, or so i've been told. it's lost in text. no worries.

I had 233, and was invited to interview at most programs I applied to (2006 match)-- many were top tier programs in competitive regional locations. I matched very well. You shouldn't have a problem if the rest of your application is average to above average. Sell yourself confidently.

jhIII said:
I am just starting my 3rd year in medical school and am very interested in anesthesiology. I just got my boards back and got a 230. Will I be competitive with this score? What can I do this year to improve my chances?
What are your opinions on doing away rotations at schools I want to go to?

Thanks in advance.

Set up a meeting with the program director at your school. Show them your cards i.e. Step 1 score and CV. Anesthesiology is becoming one of the most competitive specialties. You need a strong relationship with your home department.

There can be a tendency to be a little harsh to someone who asks an honest question because there are plenty of the "I scored 399 on all my steps (bet you didn't know the boards went that high, did you?), finished 3rd in the Boston Marathon, and fed starving children in Malawi during my vacations in med school (when I wasn't playing rugby, polo, cliff diving, or curing cancer). My parents just built a building at the medical center where I want to do my residency. How can I improve my chances of matching? And I agree that those people deserve all the harshness we heap upon them (and more). I thought jhIII asked a pretty honest question (and I recognized that "Oh crap, I really have to do this match thing. Do I have a chance and how do I not screw it up?") Sorry I missed the sarcasm.

According to the FAQs, a 230 will get you interviews at top programs.

I'm not sure though, if you need to take Step 2 early.

Damn, gas is gettin' competitive... i hope people aren't thinking it's an easy way to work 9-5 and make 300k.

p53 said:
Anesthesiology is becoming one of the most competitive specialties.
This is absolute B.S. Talk to someone that has matched and went through the process. If you are >220, you will get interviewed at virtually every program you apply to.

bigfrank said:
If you are >220, you will get interviewed at virtually every program you apply to.

Who is BSing? :thumbup:

yea, thats a little optimistic. 230 maybe. 220, you'll get most of your interviews, but far shy from any program. But what the hell do I know (and what the hell does anyone else know either). We're all just making crap up based on our experiences and the half-truth BS that other people told us.

Just apply to a bunch of places and cancell interviews as needed (like you were gunna do anyway).