How to Improve My Chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florida Runner

17:22
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres a quick view of my situation.

I graduated high school 2007.

During HS I finished my AA degree w/ 65 credits.

Because of this my GPA is lower than it should be =2.8

A majority of the classes were in Drafting/Design because that was my interest at the time.

My current major is Health Science at UCF and I have about 20 classes remaining to complete my degree.

I also have arround 110 credits at the moment, so I should have about 170-180 credits when I complete my degree.

I should be starting my CNA job next week, and working 36 hours a week.

Previously I worked full time at a large engineering company working on software.

As far as medical experience, I have none at the moment besides exposure from my parents both being nurses.

I have been running cross country for 5 years. The past two I have not been on a team, but have been helping to coach my high school's team.

I am pretty involved in the running community and complete 10-15 5ks for different charities every year.

What I am wondering is:
What can I do that will improve my chances of getting into Medical School in 2 years?

Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, lots of info. What do you expect your GPA to be when you graduate? How are you doing in your science classes? Being a CNA is a great way to get patient contact, I would also suggest being brave and emailing physicians at the hospital you are going to work at to get some shadowing opportunities. Best people to ask would be family medicine/internal medicine guys who do outpatient clinics.

Retaking Bio 1 because it was done my freshman year of high school. Retaking Physics and A&P because I feel like I didn't learn enough.

So this is what I have so far:
Biology 1: C Retaking
Biology 2: B
Chem 1: A
Physics 1: B Retaking
A&P: B Retaking

= 3.0 science GPA at the moment.

As for the next 2 1/2 years = 3.3-3.4 cgpa

I still have quite a few science classes to finish. Next semester I have Chem 2, Physics, and Anatomy scheduled.

Last edited:
1. What state are you from?
2. URM?
3. You need >28 mcat with that GPA to have a shot at some state all shcools.
4. Should yould be competitive with a 3.0-3.3 gpa in DO land if your mcat is >28.
5. CArib schools (big 4) are also a possibility. However, you still need a mcat of > 28.
6. recurring theme, can't judge chances until after mcat really.
7. the game is never over until you give up.
8. ALso, look at Post-bach programs like MS in biomedical science degree or something with a curricuclum simialr to year 1 med school. if you rock that, you get rid of most negative undergrad science stats.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IMPROVING THAT SCIENCE GPA