Quantcast

How to Improve My Chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florida Runner

17:22
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Heres a quick view of my situation.

I graduated high school 2007.

During HS I finished my AA degree w/ 65 credits.

Because of this my GPA is lower than it should be =2.8

A majority of the classes were in Drafting/Design because that was my interest at the time.

My current major is Health Science at UCF and I have about 20 classes remaining to complete my degree.

I also have arround 110 credits at the moment, so I should have about 170-180 credits when I complete my degree.

I should be starting my CNA job next week, and working 36 hours a week.

Previously I worked full time at a large engineering company working on software.

As far as medical experience, I have none at the moment besides exposure from my parents both being nurses.

I have been running cross country for 5 years. The past two I have not been on a team, but have been helping to coach my high school's team.

I am pretty involved in the running community and complete 10-15 5ks for different charities every year.

What I am wondering is:
What can I do that will improve my chances of getting into Medical School in 2 years?

Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, lots of info. What do you expect your GPA to be when you graduate? How are you doing in your science classes? Being a CNA is a great way to get patient contact, I would also suggest being brave and emailing physicians at the hospital you are going to work at to get some shadowing opportunities. Best people to ask would be family medicine/internal medicine guys who do outpatient clinics.

Florida Runner

17:22
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaking Bio 1 because it was done my freshman year of high school. Retaking Physics and A&P because I feel like I didn't learn enough.

So this is what I have so far:
Biology 1: C Retaking
Biology 2: B
Chem 1: A
Physics 1: B Retaking
A&P: B Retaking

= 3.0 science GPA at the moment.

As for the next 2 1/2 years = 3.3-3.4 cgpa

I still have quite a few science classes to finish. Next semester I have Chem 2, Physics, and Anatomy scheduled.

Last edited:

NAVYLABTECH08

DA DOCTOR IS HERE
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What state are you from?
2. URM?
3. You need >28 mcat with that GPA to have a shot at some state all shcools.
4. Should yould be competitive with a 3.0-3.3 gpa in DO land if your mcat is >28.
5. CArib schools (big 4) are also a possibility. However, you still need a mcat of > 28.
6. recurring theme, can't judge chances until after mcat really.
7. the game is never over until you give up.
8. ALso, look at Post-bach programs like MS in biomedical science degree or something with a curricuclum simialr to year 1 med school. if you rock that, you get rid of most negative undergrad science stats.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IMPROVING THAT SCIENCE GPA