1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

how to improve QR

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by aldehyde, Apr 26, 2007.

1. aldehyde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hello all,
    I took my Oat and did terrible on the reading part, a 230. I don't know how one can study for this section. I studied and performed well on other subjects, 340+. I will be taking it again but I don't know how to improve the QR. English is my second language and i tend to do really bad on the reading on standardized tests. Any help?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist

dont read the passage... go straight to the questions and then search for the answers in the passage

it got me a whopping 380:thumbup:

4. aldehyde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i tried doing that but how in the world did you get a 380 with only 45mins for 50 questions? That's exactly what i did but i ran out of time searching for the answers and scrolling down the passages. I need major help

5. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

It was my worst part too :(

6. eyelectric

eyelectric Pacific Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I would suggest taking timed practice tests before you take the OAT. Try a bunch of different methods and find out which method enables you to perform the best. Then apply your method while taking the actual OAT. Everyone is different; some people like to read the entire passage and others like to skim it. The hardest part is finding what works best for you.

7. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    ok here's the exact method i used:
    look at question #1 for instance, and if it says "what was the color of the car?" THEN, i would immediately jump to the passage and search for any colors in the passage... i would only look for key words and not phrases...

8. SearchSquad

SearchSquad Cool Member
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Read a lot of stuff online. Difficult stuff, wide range of topics. I had a hard time reading quickly from a computer screen. I'm usually a pretty fast reader on paper though. That way you can "scan" each passage quickly without getting into the details. If you go straight to the questions it takes a long time to go through the passage searching for the right paragraph. When you do a scan through it helps you to know which section of the passage to jump to for each question. BUT...reading the entire passage for details is usually a bad idea, they're just too long.

good luck...and congrats on the other high scores!