1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

how to improve QR

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by aldehyde, Apr 26, 2007.

1. aldehyde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hello all,
    I took my Oat and did terrible on the reading part, a 230. I don't know how one can study for this section. I studied and performed well on other subjects, 340+. I will be taking it again but I don't know how to improve the QR. English is my second language and i tend to do really bad on the reading on standardized tests. Any help?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist

dont read the passage... go straight to the questions and then search for the answers in the passage

it got me a whopping 380:thumbup:

4. aldehyde

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i tried doing that but how in the world did you get a 380 with only 45mins for 50 questions? That's exactly what i did but i ran out of time searching for the answers and scrolling down the passages. I need major help

5. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

It was my worst part too :(

6. eyelectric

eyelectric Pacific Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I would suggest taking timed practice tests before you take the OAT. Try a bunch of different methods and find out which method enables you to perform the best. Then apply your method while taking the actual OAT. Everyone is different; some people like to read the entire passage and others like to skim it. The hardest part is finding what works best for you.

7. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    ok here's the exact method i used:
    look at question #1 for instance, and if it says "what was the color of the car?" THEN, i would immediately jump to the passage and search for any colors in the passage... i would only look for key words and not phrases...

8. SearchSquad

SearchSquad Cool Member
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Read a lot of stuff online. Difficult stuff, wide range of topics. I had a hard time reading quickly from a computer screen. I'm usually a pretty fast reader on paper though. That way you can "scan" each passage quickly without getting into the details. If you go straight to the questions it takes a long time to go through the passage searching for the right paragraph. When you do a scan through it helps you to know which section of the passage to jump to for each question. BUT...reading the entire passage for details is usually a bad idea, they're just too long.

good luck...and congrats on the other high scores!