How to know where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year student DO (going into 4th in a month) getting ready to apply for IM this cycle.
I know I can use Freida and ERAS to look up programs but how do I know which one to apply to?
I don't have good board scores so I can't just apply to all of them without looking at their cutoffs.

Is there a way to filter programs based on their cutoffs? or do i have to click on individual ones to look at their requirements and visit their website? But then again, their website doesn't have all the requirements either I do not think.

I'm not complaining that I have to look at each one's score cutoff but I've seen some weird numbers on Freida.
Also many programs seem to not have their cutoffs on Freida.

I guess my real question is, how do I know if the program is high, mid, low tiers? (except by recognizing John Hopkins, UC, and etc).

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year student DO (going into 4th in a month) getting ready to apply for IM this cycle.
I know I can use Freida and ERAS to look up programs but how do I know which one to apply to?
I don't have good board scores so I can't just apply to all of them without looking at their cutoffs.

Is there a way to filter programs based on their cutoffs? or do i have to click on individual ones to look at their requirements and visit their website? But then again, their website doesn't have all the requirements either I do not think.

I'm not complaining that I have to look at each one's score cutoff but I've seen some weird numbers on Freida.
Also many programs seem to not have their cutoffs on Freida.

I guess my real question is, how do I know if the program is high, mid, low tiers? (except by recognizing John Hopkins, UC, and etc).

Thank you.
Do you not have a residency advisor or mentor that you can talk to about your application?

Last edited:
I would suggest do some leg work yourself. And look through SDN. I am sure you’re not the first one nor the last who have this question. Secondly, like you said, eliminate all the Ivy’s, big name schools. Then geographic locations of where you want to be, then branch out. It obviously also depends on your step scores. Maybe more beneficial when you’ve weed out the improbable ones first, then ask can I get into Wisconsin with step score of x.

There's a thread for that. It's got >1300 posts in it. I assure you that your exact question has been asked and answered in there half a dozen times at a minimum. Go read through it to find out.

Look at your school's last 2-5 years of IM match lists. And, as above, ask an advisor/dean at your school.