How to Learn Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OoPredentoO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have officially given up on my school's curriculum to teach me dentistry.

Does anyone have a recommended resource that I can use to learn the gist of dentistry that my $300k education fails to provide me with, for under $200?

Edit: I'm looking for topics covering D3 curriculum (procedures, lab techniques, etc.) Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly, but check out "Mental Dental" on YouTube, he has some really good content.

CE and real world experience will teach you all the dentistry you will need. You learn the basics in dental school and then it's up to you to expand on that knowledge. Expanding your knowledge can come in the form of a good mentor (associateship, partnership) or some exceptional CE. DSO mills will teach you speed, but not necessarily complex dentistry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stevensons Dental Solutions on YouTube is amazing for restorative dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
Read your assigned text books for each discipline of dentistry.

All things dentistry is a great channel on Youtube

Just search on youtube. Many many great videos that will be helpful even once you graduate. I came to this conclusion when I was at dental school as well. Probably I owe youtube big time ;)

Does anyone have a recommended resource that I can use to learn the gist of dentistry that my $300k education fails to provide me with, for under $200?

Edit: I'm looking for topics covering D3 curriculum (procedures, lab techniques, etc.) Thanks :)

- On the cheap: Watch youtube videos, execute watched procedure/surgery on patient in dental school. When I did my first osseous in dental school, no one taught me anything. I watched a video, showed my instructor how I was going to approach the case on a typodont + scalpel, and when I demonstrated some type of proficiency, I was able to solo it with minimal intervention.
- Lab techniques: If you want to do your own labwork, hanging out with lab techs and buying them a couple of rounds + KBBQ does the trick. You'll learn the magic they have to do to make dentist's ****ty work into something amazing (or clinically acceptable). In many instances, doing your own labwork is impractical, but it does give you the ability to understand why things work or don't work and troubleshoot your own problems.
- Procedures: Sneak into free food events hosted by dental merchants, have the reps teach you certain procedures with their "greatest and latest" machines. Also, sneak into CE courses hosted by your school. Free learning + free food. Win-win.

Stevensons Dental Solutions on YouTube is amazing for restorative dentistry.

... if you want to make no money. Beautiful dentistry, impractical for real world. Also, his courses are primarily for international dentists trying to get into dental school.

See if you can get a student discount for Spear Online, I did and it is well worth the $50 / month.

See if you can get a student discount for Spear Online, I did and it is well worth the $50 / month.
How did you get a student discount? I was looking into getting that to pickup some skills.

Kois center in Seattle.

How did you get a student discount? I was looking into getting that to pickup some skills.
I just got off the phone with them. With student discount it’s $139 a month.