how to long shadow???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionerd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well...i've resigned to the fact that i might not get accepted this cycle and am planning for the next cycle. I'm gonna ask another dentist for a letter; the last one took FOREVER to write one (see my previous rants and ravings about this dude). Question is: how long do you shadow before asking for a letter? 2 months? 3 months? 30 hours? I figured I've got from (March) until May-June-ish to volunteer and ask for the letter. (I want to turn in my application super duper early...) What do you guys think?

and i just realized my title doesn't make sense..lol!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

well once u start doing more than 30 hrs u can ask for it, and give him some early deadline, "be like iam sending my app early and i need this by the end of the month." i did 5hrs and asked for one cause i had to send my app early but promise them your going to stay the whole year then once u get it its your decision to stay.

Hey bionerd,

I'd shadow for at least 30 hours before asking, but if you can do more in the few months you're shooting for, then do it. I guess find a better dentist too, and find out before hand if he/she requires a certain # of hours for them to even write a letter. The dentist that wrote my letter required 100 hours before she'd write one. I dont see why you wouldnt get in this cycle though, your stats are pretty solid. When did you apply?

Anyway, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bionerd.. do you know why you got rejected with stats like that?? that is scarry man!! do you have all your volunteering hours and cannot imagine what could cause such large % of rejection

and no i don't know why i got rejected. supposedly, submitting your application in late august was toooo late. Go figure...

well...i've resigned to the fact that i might not get accepted this cycle and am planning for the next cycle. I'm gonna ask another dentist for a letter; the last one took FOREVER to write one (see my previous rants and ravings about this dude). Question is: how long do you shadow before asking for a letter? 2 months? 3 months? 30 hours? I figured I've got from (March) until May-June-ish to volunteer and ask for the letter. (I want to turn in my application super duper early...) What do you guys think?

and i just realized my title doesn't make sense..lol!!!!

Definitely get new letters of REc. August is not too late too apply with your stats. U must have had a red flag letter which made them discount you cuz ur stats are great.

Definitely get new letters of REc. August is not too late too apply with your stats. U must have had a red flag letter which made them discount you cuz ur stats are great.

yeah...that's what I sometimes think too but I can't figure out who'd do that to me???

the length of your shadow has to do with both the position of the sun and your own height, so don't forget to take those into consideration.

Why would somebody do that to you? Why wouldn't they just say no to writing the LOR?

well some people are just mean....

i asked if they can write a GOOD letter of rec, I emphasized on GOOD, and even said it if you don't think you would be able to write me a GOOD letter of rec, please don't write me one.

But I guess you just have to make sure of that.

Ur stats are scarry good for d-school, it is really weird that you got rejected. Have u called those schools to ask why?

find a dentist that is cool and tell them you have to give the letter to your professor then once they give you the letter read it and then send it yourself to the schools. from your stats you should have got in every school so it has to be the letter not your interviews considering that all west coast skewls didn't interview u. sucks man i feel for u :(

That really sucks and I feel for you.... This is why every school should have a pre-health committee where all your letters are sent to. They proofread all your LORs before sending them to schools, along with their own committee letter as one big batch.

All the best!

what is long shadowing?

I don't think it matters when you ask. I think it would be good to mention that you will need a letter, then ask after you perform the required amount of hours, or as many hours as you would like to show in the letter. God bless ;)

Don't wait to tell him/her the reason for shadowing though. Mention to the dentist that you would like to shadow him/her and if possible (like on conditions that the dr feels comfortable writing you a good one) would like a letter from them. Tell them stright up that you need a letter and that you need a certain amount of shadowing hours and that if they like it you would like to shadow them and see as much as possible.