How to lose your license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are all the different ways to lose your license? Of course there's negligence on the job, prescription drug abuse/stealing or dealing, but what about life outside of the pharmacy?

eg: DUI, stripping
kekekegay-1.gif
, online "modeling", miscellaneous misdemeanor or felony charges, battery/assault, indecent public exposure, associated with illegal drug users, etc.. What all must one avoid or how 'durable' is the license?

Members don't see this ad.

Professional misconduct matters are elucidated in state laws. Of course there are common threads throughout the 50 states and in the Federal system, but I would initially research a proper state reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
a pharmacist came and talked to us during orientation about drug abuse among pharmacist. She was caught stealing meds from pharmacies she worked at 4! times.. still has a license. She had to do rehab ect. but I thought that was pretty extreme to get caught 4 different times and still be able to get your license back. I am glad she is now drug free and helping the profession ect

...why would anyone have the motive to steal with a pharmacists salary?

Addiction is the first thing that comes to mind. Also for some people $100k isn't enough to support the lifestyle they want and they aren't willing to put in the extra effort to make more money honestly.

she wasn't stealing to make money. She was addicted to hydrocodone.. at her worst point she was taking 50+ 10/500s a DAY! :eek:

who knows how much damage the APAP did to her liver.

she wasn't stealing to make money. She was addicted to hydrocodone.. at her worst point she was taking 50+ 10/500s a DAY! :eek:

:eek: Woah... :eek:

it's not about salary...i mean, look at the Kozlowski and ebbers. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it.

its called being a kleptomaniac.

It is a disorder where the individual just have an urge to keep stealing until they are caught.

it's not about salary...i mean, look at the Kozlowski and ebbers. If you don't know what I'm talking about, google it.

i remember my uncle (ex pro wrestler Bret Hart) telling me about this

i remember my uncle (ex pro wrestler Bret Hart) telling me about this

wow he's your uncle? man i remember those days...i think i bought his sunglasses too. haha :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You mentioned stripping: you can't lose your license for legal off-duty behavior.

I was referring to stripping as an activity pursued outside of work, but I digress...

For California, read through the disciplinary action cases. They'll detail the accusations, actions taken, etc... This one pharmacist stole Demerol (C-II) from a hospital (charge 1), self-administered (charge 2), and then dispensed/compounded while under the influence and refused a drug test (charge 3 for DUI--dispensing under the influence).

He immediately accepted responsibility, pled guilty, and had his license restricted (no being PIC, no being preceptor, supervision, etc...) for 5 years plus ordered to pay restitution and cost of investigation.

This is pretty interesting stuff. In another case, a pharmacy technician had their license revoked outright for strong armed robbery of two elderly women.

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/enforcement/enforcement.htm
(files in PDF format)

You'd think she's be smart enough to switch to something without an NSAID... though I suppose those are more difficult to get...

So what are all the different ways to lose your license? Of course there's negligence on the job, prescription drug abuse/stealing or dealing, but what about life outside of the pharmacy?

kekekegay-1.gif
, online "modeling", miscellaneous misdemeanor or felony charges, battery/assault, indecent public exposure, associated with illegal drug users, etc.. What all must one avoid or how 'durable' is the license?

could you lose your license for stripping? why would that or online "modeling" (assuming all involved are 18 and consenting) be considered anything you could lose your license for?

also, being associated with those who use illegal drugs. I ride horses, many of the top trainers use drugs. it's not necessarily approved of, but it's just one of those things we ignore to work with the best. Could I lose my license for paying for the training these people provide?

Can you lose a license for fornicating with livestock? I sure hope not....

i'm pretty sure if you stay in WV or Pennsyltucky they'll overlook such a thing.

For California, read through the disciplinary action cases. They'll detail the accusations, actions taken, etc... This one pharmacist stole Demerol (C-II) from a hospital (charge 1), self-administered (charge 2), and then dispensed/compounded while under the influence and refused a drug test (charge 3 for DUI--dispensing under the influence).

He immediately accepted responsibility, pled guilty, and had his license restricted (no being PIC, no being preceptor, supervision, etc...) for 5 years plus ordered to pay restitution and cost of investigation.

This is pretty interesting stuff. In another case, a pharmacy technician had their license revoked outright for strong armed robbery of two elderly women.

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/enforcement/enforcement.htm
(files in PDF format)

oh snap

druggists1.jpg

^^geez 100 per day?

I think that's not the worst of it... I'm reading the entire document (http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/enforcement/fy0405/ac042859.pdf) and apparently this pharmacist also falsified prescriptions and filled incorrect prescriptions for patients that weren't caught until later. I think this is as bad as it gets for a pharmacist short of killing anyone...

Okay, and killing someone won't cause your license to be revoked:

Case # 1:A patient was scheduled to have
a procedure done in the doctor’s office
and was prescribed two drugs: lorazepam
2mg, take one tablet one half hour before
the procedure and promethazine 25mg,
take one tablet one half hour before the
procedure (both drugs are used to reduce
anxiety). The pharmacist dispensed the
two drugs to take five tablets of each drug
one half hour before the procedure. The
patient experienced a toxic effect and
expired from the combination of drugs
including the overdosed drugs and the
other drugs used during the procedure. The
investigation showed that the prescriber
had written brackets around all the drugs
with the directions to take one half hour
prior to the procedure. The prescription
was ambiguous and the pharmacist failed
to clarify the order before dispensing.

Fine: $2,500

Really???
I don't know why that interaction sounds odd to me. Is prometh really indicated as such??:confused:

can a phrarmacist lose a license for lying on a pharm admission application?

can a phrarmacist lose a license for lying on a pharm admission application?

even if it were a felony, by the time you get your license, any statute of limitation just might expire. but yes, you'd get your ass kicked out of pharmacy school and blacklisted. It's happened on this forum before, search "st. john fisher" and you should find it.

I imagine killing patients is frowned upon.

Ufortunately, killing a patient doesn't always lead to any discipline. My wife works with a pharmacist who has directly been responsible for 2 deaths in the past year, but because the hospital has a 'no blame' policy, she has not been disciplined in any manner and the families do not know whom is responsible for the deaths of their loved ones. Unfortunately, this pharmacist is still practicing.

^^This policy protects those health practitioners that had nothing to do with a death from being disciplined as well, just from being in charge at that particular time.

wow he's your uncle? man i remember those days...i think i bought his sunglasses too. haha :thumbup:

sry to reply so late, but ya lol our family is huge my father was Bruce Hart (killed in plane accident), hes a very smart person, great person to talk to anything about, he lives Calgary so we dont see each other more than twice a year, but he'll be in the states soon to promote his new book, which is going to excellent : )

even if it were a felony, by the time you get your license, any statute of limitation just might expire. but yes, you'd get your ass kicked out of pharmacy school and blacklisted. It's happened on this forum before, search "st. john fisher" and you should find it.

do you have any idea about that statute of limitations thing? Would a board or school have to follow one of those, or just police?

do you have any idea about that statute of limitations thing? Would a board or school have to follow one of those, or just police?

Basically you won't lose your license. If you can make it through 4 years of pharmacy school and graduate, any discrepencies in your application won't come to haunt you afterward. In fact, I would venture a guess that most schools will dump your admissions file some years after you graduate.

I was referring to statutes of limitation in a purely hypothetical sense. Lying on a pharmacy school application is not necessarily criminal...it's just stupid and schools have their own ways of dealing with that.

Plus, if you've read any of the above, you'll notice that a pharmacist with a penchant for being a kleptomaniac with respect to C-II substances often get suspended licenses, not outright revocation.

Just curious...what were you planning to lie about anyway?

There may be a statute of limitations as far as a fraud case is involved. But, it is unsafe to assume that also means the school can't invalidate a degree if it was obtained on false pretenses. And, some BOPs may consider lying on an application unethical behavior and revoke your license on those grounds, degree intact or not.

There may be a statute of limitations as far as a fraud case is involved. But, it is unsafe to assume that also means the school can't invalidate a degree if it was obtained on false pretenses. And, some BOPs may consider lying on an application unethical behavior and revoke your license on those grounds, degree intact or not.

True, but I'm thinking about how admission files are treated after a student leaves. Are files kept indefinitely? I somehow doubt it (however, with digital archiving now, you never know). I would imagine a school would just purge records after 7 years, or access to them would require a major investigation that might or might not occur depending on the circumstances.

I'd find it difficult for a PS to invalidate a degree years after it is conferred because of lying on an application, especially if that student completed the curriculum like everyone else. I also find it difficult to believe that a BOP would revoke a license for lying on a school's application given all of the examples above (killing a patient, diversion of C-II substances, dispensing under the influence) yielded only fines and restricted licenses for 3-5 years at the most.

I agree it is unsafe to assume anything, but I do feel it is very highly unlikely for a licensed pharmacist to have a) his/her degree invalidated or b) have his/her license revoked for lying on an PS entrance application.

Exception being the felony disclosure on an application/PharmCAS, but lying on that means lying on the future license application itself, which would result in revocation or other action. Also, lying about anything that is tied to a federal statute (ie immigration status, tax liability, etc..) will incur the wrath of the feds, which could then trickle down to your respective BOP. I think what we're discussing here are relatively minor things like grades, schools, letters of rec., activities, etc...

kekekegay-1.gif

You truly don't need to worry about those things. Do you? Unless... you are actually are doing those things. hmmmm....