How to Match in Dermatology in the United States from a Canadian Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadiangirl99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first-year medical student and US citizen attending an LCME-accredited Canadian school. Is it possible to match into dermatology in the US from here? If so, what is the standard approach? I know @DermViser has written extensively on what med students in the US have to do, but that advice isn't totally applicable to Canadian students who seek to match in the US. In particular, we don't have AOA, it's not possible to get summer research projects or do away rotations because our program is three years in length without breaks. Beyond trying to publish research and earning a good Step 1 score, what should I do? I'd like to end up in a categorical dermatology position if at all possible. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first-year medical student and US citizen attending an LCME-accredited Canadian school. Is it possible to match into dermatology in the US from here? If so, what is the standard approach? I know @DermViser has written extensively on what med students in the US have to do, but that advice isn't totally applicable to Canadian students who seek to match in the US. In particular, we don't have AOA, it's not possible to get summer research projects or do away rotations because our program is three years in length without breaks. Beyond trying to publish research and earning a good Step 1 score, what should I do? I'd like to end up in a categorical dermatology position if at all possible. Thanks.

pray