How to maximize aid and minimize debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dirk__Diggler

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey SDN,

I'm sorry if this post is redundant and that I have so many questions. I've looked all over the internet, SDN, and all my admissions material. I can't seem to find a resource that has all this information available to me.

So far I have been accepted to several schools and I would like to get the most aid I am entitled to.

My questions are:
-What is the timeline for when I should submit all this financial aid material?
-How soon should/can I submit FAFSA?
-Will my aid be effect if I just started a part-time job this Decemeber?
-Do I submit a FAFSA to every school that I am wait-listed or accepted to?
-Is there a separate financial aid form for each school?
-When do I have the opportunity to find out how much need-based aid a school can give?
-Is it possible to ask schools for scholarships (leveraging other offers from cheaper schools)?

I would really appreciate any advice on this. I swear I'm not as incompetent as this post makes me seem lol. This is just my first time navigating this financial labyrinth and I want to do it right.