How to narrow down list of schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christinehiki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
I really need help narrowing down my list of schools to around 25. I've used OOS acceptances and geographical preferences to mostly narrow it down. I feel like it's a bit top heavy. Also, although my list has only MD, I'm open to DO.

ANY help would be much appreciated.

**Formerly pre-dental
CA resident with strong ties to WA
Major: Psychobiology
Minor: Classics
MCAT: 33 (12 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
cGPA: 3.695
sGPA: 3.47

ECs:
- 200 hours hospital volunteer
- 3 years as student research assistant for a psych lab (poster presented at an international conference)
- Pre-Dental Club Member (4 years), Events Commissioner (1 year)
- Worked as Behavior Therapist for kids w/ autism (6 months)
- Other miscellaneous short term volunteer events (food bank, 5k, homeless outreach, etc.)
- (Intermittently) Member of some type choral ensemble since elementary school
- Just now starting a job as ER Scribe

MD
1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. UCR
4. UCSD
5. UCI
6. UCD
7. USC
8. Yale
9. Loyola
10. Rush
11. Chicago Med-Franklin
12. Tulane
13. Boston
14. Tufts
15. USUHS
16. Rochester
17. Einstein
18. NY Med
19. Jefferson
20. Temple
21. Drexel
22. UW

DO
23. Touro (CA)
24. Western (CA)
25. PNWU

Edit: I've decided to increase the amount of schools I'm applying to. Also, I think I'm satisfied with this list, especially narrowing down my "long shot" to Yale, UCSF, and UCLA. Hopefully one of these 25 schools will pick me up! :luck:

Thank you to everyone who helped!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loma Linda is a very, very religious school (check out their secondary questions in the school specific thread), so if that's not your cup of tea, I'd drop that one.

I'd look at the number of applications received at some of those other schools, and at the proportion of those applicants interviewed. For some, it's a tiny fraction.

Yale's got a big presence in autism research, so if your personal statement deals with your BI experience, that might get you an interview.

Hey christinehiki, I've been working on the same thing all day. If you have not considered it yet, I recommend thinking about what type of curriculum you prefer; traditioinal lectures vs small group and problem based learing, subject based vs. systems based courses. Also, you might look at whether the school has a traditional or pass/fail grading system during the first two years. The only direct suggestion I would make is think about Johns Hopkins, their bottom 10 % cGPA is ~ equal to yours, which IMHO leaves a small chance for acceptance (take w/ grain of salt because lord knows I'm applying to way too many reaches to talk). Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm anticipating stats very similar to yours. I'm a CA state resident as well. These are the schools I'd cut from your list:

Loma Linda (unless you are 7th Day or have strong ties to church), Uniformed Services (if you really want to do military HSPS... realized with USU you are signing up to a military career... 4 yrs of med school, 4 yrs of residency, 7 years of active duty all in one go). I think this is much better for people that are former military.

I'd cut out the Arizona schools. Yes, they have OOS applicants, but it's pretty small. You likely have better chances of getting into a UC, which I assume you'd prefer.

Again, you have a better shot at the UCs than NYU (avg GPA 3.8, MCAT 34). I'd cut that. Also, Tufts is the most expensive medical school in the country. Looks at cost of attendance. I've always hated that about Tufts, b/c you'll be forced into a high paying career to be able to pay off loans (it's almost 100k a yr cost of attendance).

I'd also limit yourself to less reaches. My advice would be to APPLY TO ALL THE UCs. Skip out on the rest.

Also, a few of the schools on your list (Creighton for example) are very mission driven. See if the schools ideals mesh with you and your background.

Last edited:
Hey christinehiki, I've been working on the same thing all day. If you have not considered it yet, I recommend thinking about what type of curriculum you prefer; traditioinal lectures vs small group and problem based learing, subject based vs. systems based courses. Also, you might look at whether the school has a traditional or pass/fail grading system during the first two years. The only direct suggestion I would make is think about Johns Hopkins, their bottom 10 % cGPA is ~ equal to yours, which IMHO leaves a small chance for acceptance (take w/ grain of salt because lord knows I'm applying to way too many reaches to talk). Good Luck!

The bit on PBL vs traditional lectures was something that I hadn't really considered before! I'll try applying that to my narrowing down.

I've been trying to look at P/F vs Graded schools... that information is really hard to find!! Do you have any hints in that department?

Haha Johns Hopkins is a total reach for me. But I feel like I HAVE to try, you know? :)

Good luck to you as well!

Loma Linda (unless you are 7th Day or have strong ties to church), Uniformed Services (if you really want to do military HSPS... realized with USU you are signing up to a military career... 4 yrs of med school, 4 yrs of residency, 7 years of active duty all in one go). I think this is much better for people that are former military.

You're right about Loma Linda... I was a bit on the fence about that one since I'm not 7th Day. First one off the list! (woo)

But coming from a military family, I'm okay with the USU requirements.

Your advice was very specific and awesome! Thank you so much. Good luck with your application. It doesn't seem like you need it, but let me know if you'd like feedback of your own.

Yale's got a big presence in autism research, so if your personal statement deals with your BI experience, that might get you an interview.

How did I not make this connection???? Autism is a HUGE part of my PS. My stats don't quite match up to Yale but that definitely encourages me to apply there. Thank you!!!

Loma will still consider you if you have strong ties to a church (religious) and resonate with their ideals. It doesn't sound like it's a dream school of yours though, so I think you are safe to remove it.

Your school list is basically like mine except the only reach schools I'll apply to are in NY and my list is more NY heavy (Albany, NYMC, Downstate, Cornell, Albert Einstein etc) since that is ultimately where I want to end up. I'll take a UC if I can get it and I have a few osteopathic schools on the list.

I'm on the fence about USU myself. I don't know that many people that have served as military physicians. Hope I end up in the 33+ MCAT club.

You're right about Loma Linda... I was a bit on the fence about that one since I'm not 7th Day. First one off the list! (woo)

But coming from a military family, I'm okay with the USU requirements.

Your advice was very specific and awesome! Thank you so much. Good luck with your application. It doesn't seem like you need it, but let me know if you'd like feedback of your own.

I've spoken with at least a few military physicians... the mandatory military stint is not as severe as many assume it is. there is physical training involved but not nearly as rough as real basic training. they treat you well as a health professional. the pay is decent and the army medical facilities (the only ones I'm familiar with) are quite nice. if you're even slightly considering it I would recommend doing some research and maybe even talking with a recruiter.

Again, you have a better shot at the UCs than NYU (avg GPA 3.8, MCAT 34). I'd cut that. Also, Tufts is the most expensive medical school in the country. Looks at cost of attendance. I've always hated that about Tufts, b/c you'll be forced into a high paying career to be able to pay off loans (it's almost 100k a yr cost of attendance).

I'd also limit yourself to less reaches. My advice would be to APPLY TO ALL THE UCs. Skip out on the rest.

Same goes for Columbia...

Didn't know that about tufts :( this is making me reconsider them for when I apply...

MCAT is below avg for the reach schools as is your sGPA. So save your money, except with, possibly, UCLA. Suggest not applying to Hebert unless you are truely committed to serving your country in the military. I think you can do better than NYMC, Mt Sinai or Drexel. Suggest looking at U NV, and OR State, maybe Loyola. I don't have their stats handy for matriculants right now, alas.

Also, add both COMPs, both Touros, and Pacific NW.

To pare down, suggest losing the schools furthest away from you.

Hey SDN,
I really need help narrowing down my list of schools to 15-20. I've used OOS acceptances and geographical preferences to mostly narrow it down. I feel like it's a bit top heavy. Also, although my list has only MD, I'm open to DO.

ANY help would be much appreciated.

**Formerly pre-dental
CA resident with strong ties to WA
Major: Psychobiology
Minor: Classics
MCAT: 33 (12 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
cGPA: 3.695
sGPA: 3.47

ECs:
- 200 hours hospital volunteer
- 3 years as student research assistant for a psych lab (poster presented at an international conference)
- Pre-Dental Club Member (4 years, Events Commissioner (1 year)
- Worked as Behavior Therapist for kids w/ autism
- Other miscellaneous short term volunteer events (food bank, 5k, homeless outreach, etc.)
- Member of choral ensemble (3 years)

The LIST:
U Washington
UC Riverside
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC
Arizona - Phoenix
Arizona - Tuscon
Georgetown
GWU
Boston
Tufts
Uniformed Services - Hebert
Creighton
Albany
New York Medical
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Penn State

Other Reaches:
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF (maybe)
Columbia
Cornell
Yale
John's Hopkins ;)

it's not a huge priority of mine to end up in new york, so i'll cut the more competitive ones like you guys have so graciously suggested.

do you have any suggestions to schools that i've overlooked that i should try my hand at?
i've thought about it and big lecture vs. small groups doesn't matter too much to me. there are pros and cons to both and i'd be able to adjust to either. i mostly want to apply to "low-mid" tier so that i'll get in SOMEwhere. but it's so ambiguous what "low tier" and "mid tier" actually mean haha

MCAT is below avg for the reach schools as is your sGPA. So save your money, except with, possibly, UCLA. Suggest not applying to Hebert unless you are truely committed to serving your country in the military. I think you can do better than NYMC, Mt Sinai or Drexel. Suggest looking at U NV, and OR State, maybe Loyola. I don't have their stats handy for matriculants right now, alas.

Also, add both COMPs, both Touros, and Pacific NW.

To pare down, suggest losing the schools furthest away from you.

Thanks for the extra suggestions, especially with the DO schools. I much prefer the PNW and west coast to moving over east anyway.