How to not look like a dummy on Sub-I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chibucks15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for another post about this stuff but any tips on what to look at/do/not do on auditions? I have a HUGE one next month at a reach program I was lucky to even get the opportunity to rotate at. I know the general, be early, work hard, be a good human being, and know the basic material. Basic material for neuro is broad and I don't wanna get into the weeds if I don't have to. I'm already gonna cram in neuroanatomy concepts and some peripheral innervations cuz I'm getting crushed on those lately.

Are there any topics in particular and/or things you've seen from a resident/attending perspective that really made a positive impression? I'm not worried about my personality or work ethic, just overall nervous I'll look like an idiot. I tend to freeze sometimes on pimp questions even when I know the answer. I appreciate the help. After this month coming up I go back to normal chill rotations that don't really matter.

Members don't see this ad.

read and watch videos on how to perform a good neuro exam, specially on ICU pts (intubated, comatose, etc)
know how to perform and calculate NIHSS
know how to calculate in your head GCS score (and please if someone is intubated they don't get a score for verbal, they only get T; you'll be surprised to see some neuro residents and attendings don't know this), the Mayo FOUR score, CHADSVASC and HASBLED
know the bread the butter stuff: how to workup acute stroke and what treatment options there are for acute strokes; what's the first line treatment for status epilepticus; treatment for acute exacerbation of MS and MG; key physical exam findings of GBS and acute treatment
Please, know the medications list for someone with encephalopathy and look at their urinalysis. Also know what's their baseline

come early and leave late; volunteer to see pts and don't wait to be asked. Take ownership of pts and always have an evidence-supported opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
read and watch videos on how to perform a good neuro exam, specially on ICU pts (intubated, comatose, etc)
know how to perform and calculate NIHSS
know how to calculate in your head GCS score (and please if someone is intubated they don't get a score for verbal, they only get T; you'll be surprised to see some neuro residents and attendings don't know this), the Mayo FOUR score, CHADSVASC and HASBLED
know the bread the butter stuff: how to workup acute stroke and what treatment options there are for acute strokes; what's the first line treatment for status epilepticus; treatment for acute exacerbation of MS and MG; key physical exam findings of GBS and acute treatment
Please, know the medications list for someone with encephalopathy and look at their urinalysis. Also know what's their baseline

come early and leave late; volunteer to see pts and don't wait to be asked. Take ownership of pts and always have an evidence-supported opinion.
That’s so huge thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What service will you be on?

What service will you be on?
Starting on consults, will also rotate through inpatient and stroke. Likely will do a second week of consults but unsure.

interested in Parkinson’s and movement disorders so likely will be with those attendings as well