HOW to open your MCAT scores!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jargon124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok people,

This may border on pathological behavior, but I thought I'd share it anyway since a little weirdness is sometimes called for. How are you guys planning to go about the act of opening that envelope? Any veterans out there with interesting stories? Cheers to the strangest story/plan!

Here's mine:

I will take the envelope directly from my mailbox to my car. I will drive to a local park which I love. I will sit at one of the park benches, hesitate for a few minutes while contemplating life, and finally decide to open the damn envelope. I will a) jump for joy, grab a bottle of Stolichnaya and take the rest of the day off or b) head for the batting cages to unleash some frustration. Let's hope for option "a". What can I say, I'm a drama queen I guess... Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

Jargon,

I plan on going out to a nice dinner with friends and family, opening it a getting really hammered for joy or to drown my sorrows. i guess you are right you have to have 2 plans!

Good Luck!!!!:^)

I got my mom to open mine.....after the test she had a preminition of what score I would receive.....much to my amazement (and happiness) she was right!

Members don't see this ad :)
After calling home every day for like 2 weeks it finally came. Apparently my sister had ripped it open ( I was out-of-state) and she left a message on my answering machine. I loved it - she didn't mess around and just straight out told me what the scores were. I was happy and extremely glad that I didn't have to take it again, then depression sunk in and I began to cry very heavily (I didn't get the score that I had wanted. Thanks to the Serena who was with me - I felt MUCH better :) That week was tortuous though (I was at a summer program and people were getting their scores daily)

OOps - scratch the word "the" in the last sentence.

I hope I can wait to get from the mailbox to my apartment before ripping the envelope open like a madman. It will be a tragedy if my scores are the same as they were in April. That would totally suck!

I had a nightmare about MCAT scores last night. I dreamt that they sent me a larger than usual envelope with lots of score reports in it. I was trying to find mine, but couldn't. When I finally did, I stumbled upon two! One had high scores and one low scores! What does this mean!?!? :)

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•I hope I can wait to get from the mailbox to my apartment before ripping the envelope open like a madman. It will be a tragedy if my scores are the same as they were in April. That would totally suck!

I had a nightmare about MCAT scores last night. I dreamt that they sent me a larger than usual envelope with lots of score reports in it. I was trying to find mine, but couldn't. When I finally did, I stumbled upon two! One had high scores and one low scores! What does this mean!?!? :)

take the average.
:D

The day I knew my scores had arrived (someone from work had gotten theirs) I drove to my parent's house really, really slowly. When I got home, my dog was jumping up and down and going nuts because she was excited to see me, so for like five minutes I tried to open the envelope while my crazy mutt jumped around making sad doggy sounds because I wasn't paying attention to her... it was pretty funny, but only in retrospect. :)

GOOD LUCK everyone getting their scores in the next few days!

I had a worse MCAT dream. I had a dream that my scores came in the mail... but I realized that they were a week early so I knew I was dreaming. I thought "I'm not going to open this... I'm just dreaming, they're not real anyway." But then I changed my mind because I figured it would at least be fun to compare scores from a dream to the real scores when they came. So I opened it and found that I got 0's in all the sections! I said outloud in my dream "That's not even possible!!" so then the scores changed to all 8's. I said "Oh come on! I studied for two months I have to have better than that!" So then the scores changed again to all 18's. So I said "Ok, that's not possible either... I give up!! I'm just going to wait for my REAL scores." :rolleyes:

I planned on getting arrested when my scores came, either for attempted suicide or streaking. I got home from school (on day 61, I think), and the envelope was sitting on my wife's lap. I just opened them and called my family to tell them the news. I decided not to spend the night in jail.

Ok, tonight is worse than the nights before Christmas as a child! I hope my torment ends tomorrow! Please let the verbal be high! Pleaaaaaaaase!!!!

I feel your pain Swamp. I have a biochem test tomorrow and i just dont feel like studying. I'm anxious as hell. I know I should just try to forget about it, but that is easier said than done. Tomorrow hopefully we'll all be put out of our misery!

My scores came when I least expected them. I went upstairs, poured myself a nice jack and diet coke (either way, I'd need it), sat on the couch and just stared at the envelope for quite some time (that was my third time taking the test, thus the last - my future pretty much depended on what sat inside the envelope). I opened it up and before looking, covered up the scores with my thumb. Then, going from right to left, I checked out Bio and just about wet myself. Then I just skimmed over writing. I next lifted up my thumb off Physical Sciences (still keeping that dreaded Verbal covered) and then did wet myself.

I sat a little longer, unsure what would be next. Verbal was always my worst spot, so I was incredibly nervous. So I finally lifted my thumb off the last score.

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
My God, people, you got even me worried; I thought I forgot about MCAT, now I am all shaking and re-living that horrible day, especially the verbal and the writing sections. We should definitely hold a contest who has the weirdest ritual of opening the envelope.

Andrew, when you say you 'wet yourself'--do you mean with your diet coke or...? :D

I never had that same chance you all did...to get my scores from the mailbox and anxiously tear open the envelope. Around October 1st last year, I received some certified mail from MCAT...explaining that my exam was lost and had never made it to their office for scoring. I sat at the kitchen table in shock and began to sob. Well, it went downhill from there...and I was repeatedly screwed over by MCAT and more recently, by AMCAS. By the way, my scores were finally found in FEBRUARY (a little late for last year's admissions!). I had done decently, but I wanted to up my score by a few points. Took the August exam and am looking forward to finally opening up the envelope like the rest of you. I hope it will bring good news as this is my second year applying to medical schools. I enjoyed reading all of your 'letter-opening' posts and wanted to thank you for making me smile. Just remember when you look at your scores that at least you have some! (They could have ended up in the Bermuda triangle like mine). :D

When my scores came, my parents opened them. They were a lot more excitable than me that day. I think they saw the sample sheet first because they said that I got a 25. Fortunately, I actually did do a little better.

Hey
I'm not a premed, but I wish you all luck with your scores...I know these things can be nerve-racking, but I'm sure all you SDNer's did your best...so good luck :)

Oh boy.........my stomach is in knots!!!!! I already have a bottle of Chardonnay chilling for either celebration or sorrow/dread at the thought of going through all of this again!!!!!!! Almost more than you can stand to think about!
I think I'll go to my mailbox, come back in,
get a box of kleenax and my wine and sit on my living room couch, open the envelope BUT not yet looking at the score, meditate for a moment, take a deep breath then plunge in............
(just slightly mellowdramatic!!! :p )
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
L

AAGGHH!! Reading this thread has made me more jumpy now! I am going to go insane if I don't receive my scoes today!! Here's my planned routine step-by-step...

-Retrieve scores from mailbox
-stare at the envelope for a few minutes
-go back in the house and sit on the steps
-tell myself I will not cry and sit in a
state of depression for days
-then I will slowly (excrutiatingly slow)
open the envelope
-if it's good news, I will smile a HUGE
smile and silently celebrate. My mom will
be in the near vicinity, so I'll then tell
her the results. Then I'll feel like I'm
on top of the world for the rest of the
day.
-if it's bad news, I will drop the
scores/envelope on the stairs and go change
clothes and run till I'm beat out.

This wait has been painful and hard on me (mentally). It will be a relief to get them today and find out how I fared. I really hope the verbal gods watched over me this year and were generous. I guess that's all.

For those of you who regularly come on here and are extremely supportive of everyone, I hope your studying payed off well. I guess we'll find out in a matter of hours/days. Good luck!

:)

Good luck everyone!

I didn't take it in August but reading these posts make me nervous! Hope everyone did as well as they hoped! My guess is that around noon we'll start hearing a lot of people either bragging or not mentioning them at all! Well, good luck!

Here's a veteran's take on the process (or ritual, if you prefer)

I just numbly walked back to the house after I got it out of the mailbox. Once I got inside, I dropped all my other mail and just stared at the envelope. I kept telling my wife I was scared to open it. When she offered to open it I said, "I have to do this."

Then I opened it, didn't get confused by the sample scores, and jumped for joy.

By the way, if you guys think waiting for the MCAT is fun, just wait until you're waiting to hear from med schools about an acceptance. Now THAT is fun!!!!! (I just got accepted about 20 minutes ago) :)

Hey Ditwee, Cobragirl and I were right there with you on that horrible screw-up! I didn't get my chance to open either.

Wow Jamier Congratulations!!! That is GREAT!!! Where did you get in? I guess you can chill for the next few months now huh. I wanted to be the first to congratulate you. I hope no one beat me to it. I'll next post my MCAT opening saga. :D

Originally posted by Original:
•Wow Jamier Congratulations!!! That is GREAT!!! Where did you get in? I guess you can chill for the next few months now huh.•

Thanks, I got in at Kentucky. And you're right, I have a few months (maybe my last) of relaxation ahead of me. :)

Alright I was going insane waiting for my scores. My girlfriend at the time started getting really jealous cause I was ALWAYS thinking about my MCATs. She actually hated the PR board and wished she could destroy it cause I was constantly trying to track the mailman from state to state as I perused posts like "scores received in IA", "scores received in IL", "any scores yet in NY?".... I'm usually a horny guy but that was the last thing on my mind. Anyway I was on my way out when I saw the mailman and my heart skipped a beat. I jumped out of my car and turpedoed towards him. He said he'll be done in about an hour and suggested I come back. I told him I'll wait with him for 24hrs if thats how long it will take. I also told him I love him and that I'll follow him to the ends of the earth. We started chatting as he distributed the stuff and I explained the entire med school application saga to the guy. I already had a grand ritualistic plan crafted out to open the envelope that night. As the guy handed me the envelope I am still trying to figure out how I managed to open it before it actually got into my hands. Real scary phantom type stuff. It must have taken me like 5 micro seconds to open em up, read my scores, and tell the guy what I got. I was happy cause I got a good score though it wasnt what I wanted. My sibblings and friends where far more excited than I was. I retook this August (one year later) for several reasons. I will not check my mailbox till Thursday. I'm trying to save myself some real painful anxiety.

Original: I know exactly how your girlfriend feels. My boyfriend is two years older than me so he went through the whole pre-med thing two years before me. I HATED the PR board. He was always on it hoping to see that people were starting to get their MCAT scores, secondaries, interview invites, etc... Ironicly I was the one who had to open his MCAT scores b/c he was out of town when they came! ;)

P.S. I like your signature. I love Discrete Math!! It's my favorite class! (after data structures)

In light of recent events I think that when the envelope arrives I'll slip into my most comfortable Level-A biohazard suit, after first popping a Cipro tablet. Then I'll place the envelope into an airtight, bomb-proof, carrying case. Next, I'll take it down to my cellar where I've got a make-shift decon chamber,(which doubles as a fallout shelter), and I'll turn on my anthrax sensor.

Other than that it'll be just like opening any other piece of mail. ;)

I got my envelope out of the mailbox and went up to my bedroom. I sat quietly on my bed for what seemed like forever taking deep breaths. I finally opened it and my stomack sunk as I saw all 7's when I pulled it out of the envelope. I put it down next to me and sat there in disbelief for a long time. I had done well on my practice tests and couldn't believe my scores were so low. It seemed like I was sitting there forever, in slow motion, absorbing the implications of what this meant and what I would do now. After a while I picked up the envelope to look at what else was in there. I realized that what I had been looking at was the example sheet, not MY scores! I felt like an absolute ***** but it made it even more exciting when I saw my actual scores.

For those of you who haven't received your scores you'll know what I'm talking when they arrive. (I'm pretty sure it is sevens but it might be sevens and eights.)

Good luck :)

Why do they even put those sample sheets in there?! :confused:

I live in Oklahoma and have not yet received the scores. I hope they come tomorrow (Tuesday)!!!!!

Originally posted by csgirl:
•Original: I know exactly how your girlfriend feels. My boyfriend is two years older than me so he went through the whole pre-med thing two years before me. I HATED the PR board. He was always on it hoping to see that people were starting to get their MCAT scores, secondaries, interview invites, etc... Ironicly I was the one who had to open his MCAT scores b/c he was out of town when they came! ;)

P.S. I like your signature. I love Discrete Math!! It's my favorite class! (after data structures)•

Hey CSgirl, thanks for the complement on my quote. Its straight out of axiomatic set theory and I thought it was cool. It gave birth to the axiom of choice (real deep stuff). I'm a grad student in math and I don't know what the hell they're talking about. My ex's wishes have finally come true. It is safe to say at this point that the PR board has been destroyed; though I dont know if she had anything to do with that.

Originally posted by lady in red:
•Andrew, when you say you 'wet yourself'--do you mean with your diet coke or...? :D

Andrew, you never answered lady in red's question! :D

I had to bump this back up. It's better than its replacement thread! ;)