Step I How to organize/prioritize Step 1 resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

femmegoblue

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I recently began my second year of medical school (DO). We started systems in winter of first year, and so far I have been through Neuro, GU, Endo, Derm, Female Repro, GI in addition to all of the basic sciences. Psych, Heme-Onc and Cardio come this Fall, and Ethics/Resp are in Spring. We have ~8-10 weeks of dedicated.

I really would love some advice on where to begin, especially since I have one month off before semester 2 of second year begins. Beginning with Neuro, I began to annotate First Aid & Pathoma, and used both to also study for my systems exams. I did not annotate FA for my basic sciences. Our class purchased a yearlong membership to UWorld, which I activated late July. I want to know how to properly incorperate the UWorld questions into my studying as well as my upcoming systems. I also have the Kaplan Course + Step1 and COMLEX 1 Q-banks.

Is it a good idea to go back and begin studying my basic sciences using FA and then doing the UWorld Q-bank, or should I be relying on Kaplan's Q bank instead and save UWorld for when I have more mastery of the content? I know my weakest subject by far is Microbiology.

Or, should I be only focusing on the systems I'm in and save going back for dedicated time?

I am seriously lost and would appreciate any help. Leaning toward OB +/- fellowship if that matters.
 
Step 1 is step 1 - it doesn't matter if you leaning toward OB or FM. Your goal should be to have at least 1 pass of FA with Pathoma (if you can do second pass - it would be golden) before dedicated time and you need to add some resource for Pharm/Micro (either Anki or Lange Flashcards (carbon copy) or it can be Sketchy - pick one and study it good) - also before dedicated. That's all you need really. You don't have to do UW before dedicated. When dedicated time comes - do only UW in 3 weeks, then redo wrong ones in 1 week and take exam if your average will be more than 60-70%. Simple.

During 1 month off between 1st and 2nd semester - watch Pathoma videos in 1 week (that can be a 1st pass of Pathoma). Then read FA basic sciences in 1 week. Then read Micro/Pharm Lange Flashcards - in 2 weeks both (Parm cards and Micro cards - they are about 300 flashcards each - they cover everything you'll need for step 1).

My point is that when you'll have a good foundation of Pathoma, FA, Pharm/Micro - then you'll only need to do UW once during dedicated and you'll be done. There is no need to do 5k questions etc. UW is a learning tool - each question has about a half page worth of explanations - that's about 1200 pages total - that is like going through FA twice. You can do it during dedicated to hammer down everything.