How to organize work in NY from Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limerick Gal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm an Irish postgraduate student, currently completing an MSc in Applied Psychology. My Fiance is starting a PhD in NYU in January and I'm hoping to obtain research work in a mental health setting (or any other post that would help me get into a D.Clin.Psych programme). I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to who or what organisations I should contact. I've written to a number of place and am getting a tad frustrated with the lack of response. Help! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Limerick Gal said:
Hi guys,
I'm an Irish postgraduate student, currently completing an MSc in Applied Psychology. My Fiance is starting a PhD in NYU in January and I'm hoping to obtain research work in a mental health setting (or any other post that would help me get into a D.Clin.Psych programme). I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to who or what organisations I should contact. I've written to a number of place and am getting a tad frustrated with the lack of response. Help! :confused:

I am an American citizen, but was educated in the UK through MSc level. It is not easy trying to do what you are doing, but it is possible. The best option is to get here and check out things in person, otherwise you will get lost in beaurocracy. Primarily, you will need to have your MSc evaluated for American equivalency, and this costs about 100$. From there you should be able to get accepted to a clinical PhD or PsyD program as long as you have residency status. I am not an expert on the residency part but I can help on the education part.

slainte :)

Thanks a million for the advice, Psisci.
In relation to the PsyD programmes, I think I am just going to apply to the courses in the UK and Ireland as I understand the college fees in the US are enormous and the training takes 7 years. At the moment, I'm more concerned with earning good clinical or research experience and with giving my bank account a much needed cash injection (before my bank manager sends out the big men with the baseball bats!!). Do you reckon I need to do that from inside the US? From what I can gather I need to find sponsorship, pass this through customs&immigration and then apply for the visa. I've been hearing horror stories of this process taking about 6 months :eek: which is why I'm starting my search now. Am very worried.
:(

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct that graduate school in the US is very expensive, and you will probably get a better research education in the UK or Ireland. I would recommend, depending on your intersts that you look at The Institute of Education, Univ of London. The price is good, and the training is great....I was there 94'-95'. A place to start looking for jobs is www.psychwatch.com, as it seems that many foreigners post here looking for work. I actually know more about how to do what you're doing in the UK that I do about my own country, but I would bet your university could help you with this. Also, you could go to the US consul office in Ireland and ask them. Things are alot tighter (unless you are coming from Mexico) since 9/11.

cheers :)

Thanks for the tips, Psisci. Really appreciate it.

Could anyone recommend any organisations in NY that it might be useful to contact or look up? I have been keeping an eye on the NY Psychiatric Institute website and have written to a few people there, as it seems to do a lot of excellent research. I also have spoken to people here in Ireland that have worked there in the past and they have a lot of good things to say about the place. I'm a bit wary of some of the groups and services that internet searches may yield...

Also, does anyone have any advice regarding the kind of information I should include when writing to professionals or services enquiring about possible vacancies? So far I've just given a really brief summary of my education, work experience and research, and a short statement about the areas of work I'm interested in.

Slainte
E

3 points:

- do any of your current faculty/references have direct contact with any NY researchers?

- don't send a generic letter - write yourself a professional looking CV and a unique coverletter for every position that makes direct links between your research experience/interests and the research of the person you're contacting......

- once, you're in the US, go to the schools and look for job postings for RAs in the psych department or get access to the schools' career webstes.