How to plan the next 4 years as an incoming student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timeless:)

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will start school in a few months and am currently considering anesthesiology, IM (I'm not sure what the difference is between community or academic, but I don't mind either), FM, or PM&R.
I was wondering what I should plan on doing for the next 4 years if I want to successfully match into either one of the specialties listed above.
For example, I should plan to have # of publications, etc...

It would be great if I could get some advice.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You only need to do three things right now: 1) school 2) focus on narrowing down which field you want to go into and 3) have at least 1-2 extracurriculars just so your CV isn't blank (2-3 hours per week MAX).

You got 4 whole years to be anxious, don't start before your first class lol

Members don't see this ad :)
This gets asked often around this time of year. The answer is always the same, try to relax the summer before. And this recent post has some general advice about how to approach school:

fetchimage

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Out of that bunch anesthesia is the hard one for DOs and PM&R is getting tougher.

1) Chill now
2) Have lots of money. Now isn’t the time to try to cut corners on not buying resources
3) No one uses their textbooks
4) Find a mentor in your field - ask your advisor if they can help
5) Do well in classes
6) Do even better on boards
7) There is no replacement for doing tons of uworld
8) No one knows what the heck they’re doing

If you’re settling for IM or FM and not going for an Ivy or academic center pass, learn stuff and live your best life.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of that bunch anesthesia is the hard one for DOs and PM&R is getting tougher.

1) Chill now
2) Have lots of money. Now isn’t the time to try to cut corners on not buying resources
3) No one uses their textbooks
4) Find a mentor in your field - ask your advisor if they can help
5) Do well in classes
6) Do even better on boards
7) There is no replacement for doing tons of uworld
8) No one knows what the heck they’re doing

If you’re settling for IM or FM and not going for an Ivy or academic center pass, learn stuff and live your best life.
How would post-resident life be different if one were to finish IM or FM at Ivy/ academic center pass?

How would post-resident life be different if one were to finish IM or FM at Ivy/ academic center pass?

You probably get more cool boy/girl points if you want to stay in academics or continue working at IVYs. You’ll have more clout on match day and your aunties and uncles will have heard of where you’re going.

I know people from the lowest ranked primary care residencies in peds, FM and IM that have all completed fellowship. Yes, if you’re at toooo small of a program it might be harder to do.

I’m sure there’s the rando patient that only wants to see Harvard trained doctors but trust me you don’t want that patient.