How to prepare for a career in industry

Started by nets445
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nets445

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm only a first year fellow but I was thinking down the road and saw that some of our program's previous grads took jobs in the pharm industry. What exactly does a "medical director" at a pharm company do? Do I need to do a lot of research during fellowship or get involved in clinical trials in order to be competitive for one of these industry jobs after fellowship?
 
You absolutely need clinical trials experience to get a job like this. You can get some of this experience as a fellow, but it will be easier to get it as an academic attending. Even better if you've got experience writing/executing an IIT and getting industry support to fund it.
 
You absolutely need clinical trials experience to get a job like this. You can get some of this experience as a fellow, but it will be easier to get it as an academic attending. Even better if you've got experience writing/executing an IIT and getting industry support to fund it.


Make it stop...the pain. I can only take so much.
 
I'm only a first year fellow but I was thinking down the road and saw that some of our program's previous grads took jobs in the pharm industry. What exactly does a "medical director" at a pharm company do? Do I need to do a lot of research during fellowship or get involved in clinical trials in order to be competitive for one of these industry jobs after fellowship?
Of course clinical trial experience is very important (know about development of clinical development plan, clinical trial protocol, etc.)...research is very important too... how much research experience needed depends on the position/company....for some positions it is required that you established yourself as a well-known name in your area (some academics move into pharmaceuticals after years of experience)...