How to prepare for boards?

Started by beaneek
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beaneek

IU 2009
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Does anyone have any advice about how to prepare for Part I of boards? Is the berekely review guide helpful? Thanks!
 
I Study Like Crazy, But I Feel Like I Forget Most Of It Right After The Exam. We Had A Quiz In Pham. Last Week Over Some Past Tests, Hello!!!!!!! I Felt Like, What The _ _ _ _ Is This!!! Am I Just Stupid, Or What!!! I Hope I Just Pass All My Classes This Semester With At Least C's.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used the SCCO study guide, but I didn't find it as good my own notes for certain sections. It depends on what notes you like and don't from your own classes at your school.
 
I am only a first year, but I would like to start to prepare early for the NBEO. Are there any good books or advice for us? Also, I know in Indiana they are using a new cirriculum. Talk about taking a chance on their future!!! They have combined classes and now allow ony to get C's in classes when they used to allow you to get one D. I have a friend at IU and they are really scared. Any of you in that boat? I am glad I'm at Nova.
 
I am only a first year, but I would like to start to prepare early for the NBEO. Are there any good books or advice for us? Also, I know in Indiana they are using a new cirriculum. Talk about taking a chance on their future!!! They have combined classes and now allow ony to get C's in classes when they used to allow you to get one D. I have a friend at IU and they are really scared. Any of you in that boat? I am glad I'm at Nova.
Well, you just made another post about how your grades are slipping so I would concentrate on that first before worrying about boards.

Also, aren't you going to be the 1st year to take the new boards? After 3rd year?
 
What do people do if they don't pass the boards????
 
What do people do if they don't pass the boards????

You take them again until you pass. But, at over $700 per test... try to pass the first time.

I took it many moons ago and I've heard the test has changed some. But, for what it's worth I studied from Schwartz's Visual Perception, The Berkeley Guide.. and then I used the test content outline to go through my own notes over areas the berkeley guide was weak. (pharm especially)

Hope this helps !
 
Well, you just made another post about how your grades are slipping so I would concentrate on that first before worrying about boards.

I would ditto this. Focus on your studies for classes and it'll help you for boards. Don't really hit board studying hard until about two months before the test is going to occur. You have to cram so much detailed info into your head.. it's not really worth studying that much in advance.
 
I would ditto this. Focus on your studies for classes and it'll help you for boards. Don't really hit board studying hard until about two months before the test is going to occur. You have to cram so much detailed info into your head.. it's not really worth studying that much in advance.

I agree, don't start studying for boards until two or a month and a half til they occur. One, you'll start to scare yourself with as much material there is to cover. Part two is actually pretty easy i thought. Part one was the hardest.
 
I agree, don't start studying for boards until two or a month and a half til they occur. One, you'll start to scare yourself with as much material there is to cover. Part two is actually pretty easy i thought. Part one was the hardest.

If we start studying for boards one or two months prior, how much should we study a day and how many days a week?
 
If we start studying for boards one or two months prior, how much should we study a day and how many days a week?

It's hard to say.. Everyone studies differently.. Look at the content of the board online and try and judge how long it will take. If you're going to use a guide then that will help you keep pace. I would say 2-3 hours a day if you start 2 months in advance would probably be plenty.. (obviously increasing as you get closer to d-day!).