How to prepare for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted444768

The time for interviews is upon us. How are you preparing? Should you be reading about current events and politics? Scientific articles? Practicing? How do you practice? Memorize your answers?

Members don't see this ad.

You should prepare by knowing why you did the things you did, having answers for the basic questions (why medicine, backup plan if it doesn't work out, why this school, etc.), and, if you feel like you need the practice, doing a mock interview or two. Be at least minimally informed about healthcare reform - enough to sound intelligent if you're asked a question about it. Think about basic ethics principles and be able to apply them in a variety of situations (this is easier than it sounds - just have a well-reasoned argument for acting one way or another).

You should prepare by knowing why you did the things you did, having answers for the basic questions (why medicine, backup plan if it doesn't work out, why this school, etc.), and, if you feel like you need the practice, doing a mock interview or two. Be at least minimally informed about healthcare reform - enough to sound intelligent if you're asked a question about it. Think about basic ethics principles and be able to apply them in a variety of situations (this is easier than it sounds - just have a well-reasoned argument for acting one way or another).

I can not stress what NN said enough, especially the first part. You have to be able to justify every part of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good tips. I think another good idea would to think of specific questions for each school you're interviewing with.

Is asking about financial aid or merit scholarships looked down upon? It seems like a pretty important question

Do not, DO NOT memorize answers to any question. It is painfully obvious when someone has done this. I agree with Nick's advice above. Know what you did as a pre-med, why you did it, and what you learned from it. Know why you want to be a doctor. Know why you chose a particular school, and inform yourself about that school's specific qualities that might set it apart from other schools. Be aware of ethical issues in health care, and of health care reform. Whether or not you have an opinion about health care reform, be able to discuss the costs, benefits, risks, rewards.

Reactions: 1 user
Good tips. I think another good idea would to think of specific questions for each school you're interviewing with.

Is asking about financial aid or merit scholarships looked down upon? It seems like a pretty important question

I don't think it would be looked down upon, but your interviewer would probably not be the best person to answer this question. They are often older physicians who aren't involved in the medical school other than to be an interviewer, or PhDs, or members of the community. It's best to ask your student tour guides or the admissions staff.

I don't think it would be looked down upon, but your interviewer would probably not be the best person to answer this question. They are often older physicians who aren't involved in the medical school other than to be an interviewer, or PhDs, or members of the community. It's best to ask your student tour guides or the admissions staff.

Ah good point! I wasn't sure who gave the interviews.

I can not stress what NN said enough, especially the first part. You have to be able to justify every part of your application.

My friend who had a 4.0 went through an interview where they asked him about every part of his application, even his A's. Apparently they asked him "why did you get an A in this class"

His answer was "ummm... I studied hard?" haha he got in, but said that the person who interviewed him asked even down to what would happen if his grandma died and how would he deal with it in medical school.

My friend who had a 4.0 went through an interview where they asked him about every part of his application, even his A's. Apparently they asked him "why did you get an A in this class"

His answer was "ummm... I studied hard?" haha he got in, but said that the person who interviewed him asked even down to what would happen if his grandma died and how would he deal with it in medical school.

So he was such a perfect applicant that the interviewer couldn't find any weakness to pick on lol. Yea seriously they will try to find dirts on you. So far I have been asked: why don't you have lor from a physician that you shadowed? Why don't you have any leadership activities? Do you think you have enough clinical exposure? ....and in one interview I was so nervous that I stuttered like 3 times in a sentence, the interviewer immediately rip on my ability to communicate. Guess it was a stress test from the start, I wasn't prepared and let my guard down because my last interview was completely relaxed. Just be prepared for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he was such a perfect applicant that the interviewer couldn't find any weakness to pick on lol. Yea seriously they will try to find dirts on you. So far I have been asked: why don't you have lor from a physician that you shadowed? Why don't you have any leadership activities? Do you think you have enough clinical exposure? ....and in one interview I was so nervous that I stuttered like 3 times in a sentence, the interviewer immediately rip on my ability to communicate. Guess it was a stress test from the start, I wasn't prepared and let my guard down because my last interview was completely relaxed. Just be prepared for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's pretty amazing, I'm not going to lie. Really humble and easy going too. Personally I'm nervous because I stutter and my face muscles tense up when I get really really nervous. My smile gets too big and freezes on my face or I get this weird cheek/smile twitch thing. I've tried almost everything to control it but I can't!!! :-0 I don't want to come across as a twitchy creep... Haha

Thanks. I'm guessing they'll be asking what my stance is on abortion and all that then.

I would read through your AMCAS and be prepared to talk about anything and everything about it. Familiarize yourself with the current healthcare news (may be especially important considering it is an election year). Also read up on the medical school on their website and on SDN. Finally, think of some talking points for "Why medicine?" or "Why not another field that "helps people"?" Don't script something, but these questions or some variation came up on all of my interviews.

I would read through your AMCAS and be prepared to talk about anything and everything about it. Familiarize yourself with the current healthcare news (may be especially important considering it is an election year). Also read up on the medical school on their website and on SDN. Finally, think of some talking points for "Why medicine?" or "Why not another field that "helps people"?" Don't script something, but these questions or some variation came up on all of my interviews.

IMO, your reasons for "why medicine" will probably be different depending on your application. For example, if your volunteering is weak, you definitely shouldn't talk about service. If your research is weak, don't talk about becoming a researcher or whatever.

My friend is applying to law school, and he says that adcoms get a lot of applicants who have hardly done any volunteering in their college career, and will never do a day of public interest law in their life. But their PS still talks about "helping people" for some reason. Yeah, adcoms see through that.

Fit your answers to your app.

Is ethics a good class to take for interviews. I know my "state school" (WWAMI) University of Washington does MMI. I still need another humanities and language class and ethics would count for that, or is there something else that would be more helpful... (I hate core classes)