How to Prepare for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stargirl1001

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys!

I am taking the MCAT in August and have some questions on how you guys used your AAMC materials. Right now I am working through the Kaplan 3rd Edition books and I have TPR (will use practice passages) and then I have all of the AAMC review material. When should I start using the AAMC material? When should I start doing passage based questions? How long should I spend on content review ? Are the Kaplan summaries sufficient enough?

TIA
 
Three months of preparation time is pretty tight but definitely doable. Unlike you, I took my time preparing for the MCAT over a span of 5 months. However, if I were in your shoes, I would wrap up reviewing Kaplan books as soon as possible (like 1 month), supplemented with KA videos and rigorous Anki deck. Then, start doing passage based questions and third party practice FL's (Altius or NS) for 2 weeks. Around 6 to 8 weeks before test day, you should begin with AAMC section banks and CARS QPack, and then move onto AAMC Sample Test --> AAMC FL 1,2,3 & 4. If you follow this right, your AAMC FL4 score should reflect what you would get on the actual test.