How to Prepare for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stargirl1001

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I am taking the MCAT in August and have some questions on how you guys used your AAMC materials. Right now I am working through the Kaplan 3rd Edition books and I have TPR (will use practice passages) and then I have all of the AAMC review material. When should I start using the AAMC material? When should I start doing passage based questions? How long should I spend on content review ? Are the Kaplan summaries sufficient enough?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Three months of preparation time is pretty tight but definitely doable. Unlike you, I took my time preparing for the MCAT over a span of 5 months. However, if I were in your shoes, I would wrap up reviewing Kaplan books as soon as possible (like 1 month), supplemented with KA videos and rigorous Anki deck. Then, start doing passage based questions and third party practice FL's (Altius or NS) for 2 weeks. Around 6 to 8 weeks before test day, you should begin with AAMC section banks and CARS QPack, and then move onto AAMC Sample Test --> AAMC FL 1,2,3 & 4. If you follow this right, your AAMC FL4 score should reflect what you would get on the actual test.